Need Help With OSS

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Zetelo, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

Hello folks, I guess you've all heard about the tempting offer Agnitum is making and I'm one of those who couldn't resist. So, I bought the OSS and received the key today.

I must say that I'm a total newbie when it comes to firewalls, I'm more of an antivirus guy. So I'm kind of sitting infront of the screen staring at the interface and don't know what to do to make it more comfortable and most importantly secure for me!

Are there any experts out there who are willing to share some useful information on how to SET UP this suite propely so I can make maximum power out of it? What values should be set and what should be deactivated/activated?

Something like a small guide would be highly appreciated ;)

Happy NEW year guys, hope 2009 won't hit you badly and may your antivirus and firewalls protect you from any kind of threats!

2. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  3. Minimax2000

ImproveNet is a nice feature of OSS which provides rule sets based on community behavior and supervised by Agnitum engineers. These rule sets are automatically updated. So you do not have to create rules for common applications yourself.

http://www.agnitum.com/support/improvenet/technical.php

4. osip

osip Registered Member

Minimax2000:s links for rule sets is great...If you, however, want a more simple method you can let the "rule wizard" be on for a week or so, adjust your existing apps network access acc. to your wish in application settings (what you allow/not allow to connect)...Then after a week change the "rules wizard" to " block most" ( tray icon goes from blue to green...)
    In most cases I think this will be enough...

5. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

Thanks alot Minimax!

EDIT: In the task manager, the acs.exe process sometimes takes over 80.000 K of memory, but sometimes only 40.000 K. Are these values ok? I mean, it's alot for a suite isn't it?

6. Minimax2000

Another tip. Make a port scan here:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

And see which ports are open or vulnerable to intrusion. OSS should stealth most ports, meaning it will not answer to outer port requests.

You probably do not need NetBIOS for files sharing thus disable it in OSS under Firewall -> LAN Settings and untick the checkbox.

7. Minimax2000

It may be worth to run a tool such as this one to close some ports on your computer:

Windows Worms Doors Cleaner
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/wwdc.htm

And it may be worthwhile to get a NAT router to relieve the Firewall of OSS.

Regarding memory consumption see this
    http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23184&highlight=acs.exe

I have also 75 MByte PrivateBytes for acs.exe here according to Process Explorer at the very moment.
    After some time the memory allocation decreases here to 42MByte therefore don't worry.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  8. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

Minimax, thanks for your effort and patience! Have a happy 2009! :D

9. Minimax2000

You too.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.