Need help with Opera Browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Oct 1, 2017.

1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I am sorry to be posting this here but I am not able to post on the Opera Forum even though I have created a new users account and had my e-mail address verified (very frustrating since it appears the only way to get Opera help is on the forum).

My problem is that I am trying to update Opera (currently version 12.17) but even though I have disabled all my anti-malware apps the update installation fails to run. The update files are downloaded and the window says "Preparing Installation" but it never proceeds past this point.

My query is thus 2 fold, how do I get past the problem with getting full access to to the Opera Forum and what do I need to do to get the update to run.

I tried doing a manual installation but this installed a new version of Opera on my PC that had nothing to do with my old version, no bookmarks or links from the old version at all.

I am running Win 7 Pro

2. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

You could try taking your profile folder out of the old version and put it in your new version. Make sure you can reverse the operation in case it doesn't work

3. bgoodman4

Thats sounds like a good idea but Opera does not have all its files in one place. Where the Profile folder is, if it contains what I would need, is it even compatible (structure wise) between versions, and where it should be put in the latest version, is a mystery that I hoped would be answered in the Opera forum.

Would someone be able to copy my OP and post it in the Opera Forum for me and then let me know the ans to the "post" issue so I can sort out the update problem there?

4. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Press Alt key, select Help-About and you will see all important paths including your Profile path called "Opera directory".

If you have 7-Zip or WinRAR you can right click on Opera_1218_en_Setup.exe, open it and extract all files and folders over older version (overwrite everything) and it's completely updated. Of course, backup everything important (like Profile folder) before doing that.

5. bgoodman4

Thank you Pliskin, I will give that a try.

PS: I backup my HD daily with Macrium Reflect so if something goes wrong I can revert the drive.

6. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

You're welcome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.