Need Help with McAfee

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

My Father is using McAfee Security Centre on his PC but as far as I know he's only using the antivirus module or protection and not the FW, Anti Hacker or Anti Abuse modules, as it only allows me to only update the antivirus index, so I'm not sure by updating the antivirus index am I actually updating the antivirus dat files or signature files, sorry bit of confusion here.

Also when I go to My Security Index it mentions the following:

Old version of antivirus software detected
    Moderate Anti hacker detection detected
    No anti abuse software is installed on your computer

Also it says " the antivirus software you have McAfee Virus Scan is not up to date. Now I'm more confused, I'm getting totally mixed up between McAfee Security Centre and McAfee antivirus.

It doesnt look like my Fathers PC has got any other AV software apart from this McAfee Security Centre.

He does use Windows XP FW though.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You might ask your dad if mcafee came preinstalled on the comp when it was new. If so there could be an instance of it still installed on the computer somewhere. It wouldn't have to be a complete install to be detected, just part of it that might not have deleted completely. And that is possibly what it is detecting as not up to date.

3. Albinoni

I do know he had the PC built for him by another person, as my father is not ver computer literate so one of his friends built it for him. And his friend put McAfee on for him.

4. bigc73542

It might be worth the effort to uninstall McAfee from your dads comp and and run a reg cleaner after uninstall then reinstall it to see if it will operate correctly then.

5. Albinoni

When you say a reg cleaner you mean sonething like crap cleaner.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yes. ccleaner's integrated reg cleaner should suffice. theres plenty of others to try too.

7. bigc73542

It should work just fine. and hopefully it will work like it is supposed to after doing the removal and cleaning and reinstall.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.