Need help with DVD Media

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by root, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. root

root Registered Member

I just purchased a NEC ND2500A DVD -r/+r, +rw, CDR, RW, etc. I want to use this for data storage more than anything (large Images). My question to you wonderfully smart people is what the H3!! is the difference between DVD -r and +r. I doubt I will be re-writing anything, so whats the best for me to buy? :rolleyes:

Also, whats the best burning program to use with this beast? Nero?

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Root, :)

No expert, ... but they're just different technologies ... a beta/vhs thing. Your drive supports both - & + ... so not to worry, DVD RAM is the odd man out. Didn't the drive come with some software ... I don't have a DVD burner yet ... so I can't help with a recommendation, but here are some reviews from PC World to help.

Quote from a PC World article:
    Hope that helps! :)

dog - *puppy*

3. root

root Registered Member

Thanks dog. I got the burner on sale at NewEgg and nothing came with it. I didn't even have to download drivers for it, Win2k just picked it up.
    I've been doing some looking around and the more I read, the more confused I get. Like you said though, it doesn't seem to make a difference unless you're concerned about playing back on a different drive.

4. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

There are basically two 'big' players in the media-burning world: Roxio and Ahead's Nero. Both are competent, full-featured programs, and I think that timed demos of both are available. My own personal preference is Nero for CDs; I don't have DVD capabilities.

If you are looking for media recommendations, I'd consider picking up one of each type of disc your burner and software can handle. Burn identical file sets to each and try them for readability in each drive you'll be accessing the files from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.