Need help with Dropper.Small.5.J Trojan Horse

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Adrian, Jun 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adrian

Adrian Registered Member

I have the trojan horse - dropper.small.5.j on my computer, detected with AVG, but it can't get rid of it. please help.

Adrian

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Adrian,

What file did AVG find it in? That is a very important detail.

Also, are you using TDS-3? That's the forum you've posted in. If not, we'll move this thread.

3. Adrian

Adrian Registered Member

Sorry im new here, im not sure what TDS-# is, so no probably not. I ran the scan twice, first time it found it in C:\Program Files\PWTAY.EXE and it just found it in C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B37680B2-BAQA-4E5D-BF30-83E44C588624}\RP302\A0021205.EXE

Thank you

Adrian

4. LowWaterMark

Okay, were you able to delete or clean (or move to the virus vault) that first file (PWTAY.EXE), or is it still in the same place and being found in additional scans? It should have been taken care of by AVG, and in fact that action may very well have resulted in the existence of the second file....

The A0021205.EXE file is actually in the System Restore folder (which is either "_RESTORE" on Windows ME or "System Volume Information..." on Windows XP). System Restore saves copies of any EXE file that gets deleted in case it is needed in a future restore operation. And no anti-virus cleans files from the system restore directly because that is a protected area. The only proper ways to remove files from there is to either cycle System Restore (disable then reenable it), or use the Cleanup option that allows you to remove old "restore points".

However, when you do either of these operations, you will lose either all restore points, or all but the last one, depending upon which approach you take. Still it is recommended to clean out system restore to get rid of the old virus just so you don't ever restore it to the system again.

Here's some instructions on how to clean System Restore:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039

5. Adrian

Adrian Registered Member

When I tried to move the first file (PWTAY.EXE) to the virus vault, my virus scan froze, so im not sure if it got there. I'm assuming it did however as now it is only detecting the one in the System Restore folder. So do you suggest I carry on with cycling System Restore?

6. LowWaterMark

Yes, I say proceed with cycling. The way I'd do it is: disable system restore. Reboot PC. Enable system restore and make a new restore point. Then run a new full scan with AVG and see if everything is clean.

I'll move this thread elsewhere in a while. There will be a link here point to where it has been moved to.

7. Adrian

Adrian Registered Member

Thank You, I'll try that and see if it works, and I'll get back to you soon.

8. Adrian

Adrian Registered Member

It seemed to work AVG isn't picking it up anymore, thank you!!!

Adrian.

9. timmyc

timmyc Registered Member

solution for Dropper.Small.5.J Trojan Horse

I cleaned up an XP system today that was infected with this problem. Cycling the System Restore did no good. AVG identifies the file 96WU19RD.EXE and puts it into the vault, but every time the owner tried to open Windows Media Player, the file reappeared in the \windows folder. The WMP shortcut had been highjacked to call the virus named wmplayer2.exe

I turned off System Restore and then I uninstalled the WMP through Control Panel ... Add/Remove Programs... Windows Components, but to no avail. I eventually went to the registry and removed all references to WMP, deleted the WU... file from \windows (make sure there are no odd folders in the Program Files folder with random character names as there were two in this system which I deleted. I then went to the Windows Update site and downloaded and installed WMP 9.0. The system seems to be perfectly fine now.

There seems to be no other info regarding this particular behaviour in literature that I researched.

10. Manny

Manny Registered Member

I also have this trojan. Ran the AVG and still there. It is lodge at C:\Documents and Settings\Preferred\Local Settings\TEMP\NETPAL.EXE:\AESS3.exe

I need help on how to remove this. Thanks

11. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

what is your operation system?

if you have win xp use the task manager to kill the process C:\Documents and Settings\Preferred\Local Settings\TEMP\NETPAL.EXE:\AESS3.exe
    press CTRL+ALT+DEL to launch task manager, select the processes tab , right click the process and select end process

then locate the file C:\Documents and Settings\Preferred\Local Settings\TEMP\NETPAL.EXE:\AESS3.exe and delete it, or rescan with AVG

12. pampeerey

pampeerey Registered Member

I also have this trojan horse, but I have windows 2000 and can't find the system restore option (and even if I did, would not know how to disble it). Can someone help please!!!! AVG says it's at atgames.exe, but I can't seem to find that file.

13. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

14. stella starr

stella starr Registered Member

greetings! i have the same problem. now another trojan is attackig.. the same source, paltalk.com. dropper.small.5.1 and tvm_b5.exe were found in the paltalk folder in my system. how do i prevent this? i tried delete and new download of paltalk. the new trojan appeared with the dropper.

15. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Stella Starr, welcome to Wilders, see the following thread for more info:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=45508

Post number 7

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

16. alexis_1025

alexis_1025 Guest

Please help!!

I just got the Dropper.Small.5.J Trojan Horse virus on my computer. AVG says that the infected file is in my Temporary Internet Files folder. I tried "Move to Virus Vault" but AVG said it could not be removed. I'm running Windows 2000 and am not even sure whether it's better to keep the computer off or if restarting it later will cause the virus to spread??

Thank you so much for your help!!

17. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

18. snowbound

Make sure u Delete all offline content also.

It's in the instructions in that link.

snowbound

19. Blackspear

Re: Please help!!

Hi Alexis, welcome to Wilders, see the following thread for more info:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=45508

Post number 7

Hope this helps...

20. alexis_1025

alexis_1025 Guest

I deleted the temp internet files and the virus scan is coming up clean now. Will continue to scan once in a while just in case. You guys are awesome, thanks again!

21. Blackspear

Good to see...

22. Atarihero

Atarihero Guest

I get this virus pop-up 3 times a day during AVG active scans. But when I run Complete test It finds no Virus threato_O?

23. Blackspear

Hi Atarihero, welcome to Wilders, see post number 7 in the following thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=45508

Hope this helps...

24. And

And Guest

Hi,

I am wondering if someone could help me out.

I am infected with Trojan Horse Dropper Small.5.J today. I have been very careful but I am still infected. It not only changed my homepage but also my google toolbar into some wierd toolbar.

Does anyone know what it will do except those mentioned above?

I am using Windows xp. I have AVG (free version) and it detects the virus for me but unable to clean it.

Location of the virus: C:\\WINDOWS\System32\SG.exe:\03kd97fg.exe

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

An

25. snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.