Need help with DriveImage XML problem

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by DCM, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCM

DCM Registered Member

DriveImage XML version 121 error message

I have encountered my first ever DriveImage XML problem after several years of successful use with no problems.

When trying to start a backup image, the following error messages appear. The messages are;

"Bad Sector Handling"

An error encountered during a sector block read operation.

Operation; Read sectors 0-63 on C:

Error; Write Protected Disk.

The choices to continue are

skip sector block
    Retry accessing single sectors
    do not ask this question again

Continue

When I continue without selecting any of these, the next error message is ;

I/O error "write protected disk" reading sector 0 on C:

Do you want to continue

Choices then are

Yes
    Cancel
    Yes to all
    Help

This is a free program and has been giving outstanding performance but apparently, something has changed on my C: drive without my knowledge. I have never knowingly write protected any portion of it and this has never happened before.

If this drive has somehow become write protected, how can I find out and how can this be changes? When I right click on the drive and read the "properties" of the drive, it does not mention write protection.

Anyone here encountered this problem?

Any ideas on how to cure the problem?

Thanks

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Have you installed some app like FD-ISR, Rollback/Eaz-Fix, Returnil/Shadow Defender ?

3. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I haven't installed any of those programs but did just finish a successful backup finally. I sent it to a different external drive and it worked OK. It started off by saying that it was starting at sector 63.

Maybe, something changed on the other drive I had been using but I am going to test it in a few minutes to see if I can manually tell it to start there. There is an option to skip the sectors that they found write protected so maybe they have always been there and in the past backups, maybe that option was checked by default.

Thanks for the response.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If it started at sector 63, then it skipped all of track 0 including the mbr and partition table. I would be very suspicious of that image. Have you run chkdsk?

Pete

5. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I ran checkdisk 6-8 times before this posting.

The program could have been doing this all along as default and I have restored many images created with it. I think I will format an extra drive and try a restore to that to see if it is still a reliable backup.

Thanks for your responses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.