NEED HELP WITH COMP.SOFTWARE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by larisa, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larisa

larisa Registered Member

arial black :rolleyes: Hi all,
    Can anybody help me please and tell which programs are the best to
    have for the computer:
    EXMPL: -Is "DUSTBUSTER-XP" enough for cleaning or do II need extra pr.like "REGRUN SEC.S>" for deep registry cleaning?I do need one for junk and temp.file cleaning and another for Deep REG.cleaning?
    :cool: ALso, is XP FIREWALL enough, or do I need ZONE ALARM?
    - Also, Ihave "MICROSOFT-ANTYSPYWARE-Beta... is this good program or not (I like to decide which two spyware to keep, because I do have Ad-aware and spybot"
    - AV- I am using "TREND MICRO PC-illin" is this program strong enough or is there better av?
    Thank you for the help, I want to have ONLY WHAT IS NECCESSERY for the computer and the best/ :-*

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I dont use a registry cleaner so I cannot comment on that.

I am using the XP SP2 Firewall alongside my eScan File Rights Firewall...and the combo is good.

However, the SP2 firewall is not the best, and I'd highly recommend ZoneAlarm or Sygate or Kerio Personal.

Some people have had problems with their PC with MS AntiSpyware. But those who did not have any problems found it to be a good product - therefore, use at your own risk.

Trend PC-cillin 2002/2003 - Upgrade quickly
    Trend PC-cillin 2004/2005 - Offers decent protection, but I have seen many Trojans which it doesnt detect. When it comes to Antivirus, only these are among the best:

NOD32 - Heuristics (First class)
    KAV - Good Heuristics, Best Database-based detection
    McAfee - Slightly better than KAV in heuristics, slightly worse in database
    MKS_Vir - Nice detection, good heuristics
    BitDefender - Nice detection, good heuristics
    Dr. Web - Excellent heuristics

Cheers and have a great day :)

Regards,
    Firecat

3. larisa

larisa Registered Member

:eek: Ty very much/Sorry couldn't reply earlier,i was out of town/ :-*

4. Firecat

Your welcome!

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I agree with Firecat's comments.

You might consider doing a test. I suggest you trial Ace Utilities. At the end of busy computer day #1, run Dustbuster then run Ace, & see if Ace picks up anything Dustbuster missed. At the end of busy computer day #2, run Ace then run Dustbuster, & see if Dustbuster picks up anything Ace missed. Then decide.

I suggest Ace because it is very safe to use. If you are an experienced computer person, then there are some superb freebies that you might want to put to the aforementioned tests...
    _/ RegSeeker.
    _/ CCleaner.
    _/ HDcleaner.

If you ever install Zone Alarm, be SURE & monitor the installation with Total Uninstall. ZA is a beast to uninstall if you should ever want to get rid of it. If you don't have Total Uninstall, RUN (do not walk) to SIMTEL while the free version is still available.

By the way, are you on broadband or dial-up? If you're on broadband, there are *other firewall options* you might want to learn about & consider.

6. Firecat

Are they going to discontinue the free version of Total uninstall?

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It's still listed on Martau's new site & Simtel. Other than that, who knows?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.