Need help , with back up strategy

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jatti, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jatti

jatti Registered Member

Hi there,

Thanks for reading my post.

I am facing a slight dilemna o_O and was hoping community members could help mein this !!!
    I have 3 hard disk's drive's viz.,
    1. 60 gb drive (in built in my laptop , drive 0)
    2. freeagent 500 GB drive (powered thru adapter , drive 1)
    3. freeagent go 250 gb (usb powered drive , drive 2)

Out of them drive 1 is always connected to my laptop and has all my movies and books in it.

Now the question is , i want to strategise my backups so that i am able to backup drive 0 and drive 1 , in the most efficient way i.e. minimum space usage.
    Though i would prefer if someone could suggest a way to use drive 2 instead of drive 1 , as it will help me in being more mobile.

Also as my large chunk of data is movies and books which will never change overtime ; will file based backup , be better way?
    Please drop in your valuable suggestions , i would really appreciate it.

Laptop : ACER Aspire 5004
    Backup software: true image 11 or ghost 14

Thanks again

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. Wandering2

Wandering2 Registered Member

File based backup will take care of all your data like movies. It won't handle backing up the operating system. That's where Acronis shines. Get a good freeware backup program that keeps the data in the original format like SyncToy from Microsoft or Karen's Replicator, and create backup jobs to duplicate or syncronize your key folders. You can run these automatically, or manually as you choose. Automatic backups in SyncToy must be handled by Windows Task Manager. Replicator has it's own scheduler. Both are easy to use and make little demand on system resources, and can be set to run automatically in the background with no great impact on system performance in the foreground.

I set my laptop to sync several key folders every time I log on. That way the desktop and laptop always have the same data.

Good luck.

3. jatti

jatti Registered Member

Hi ,

Thanks Wandering2 for your reply.
    I have been using file synchronization based software (goodsync) since last year and it has been a lifesaver several times....
    As for using image based backup, its too unreliable. I have faced seen even after validating with acronis boot cd or the software it self , the backups were corrupted (some reason i don't know) ... this is the main reason i posted this post.....i need other alternative way to backup data but securely and least space usage

Thanks for your post again

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jatti,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

First of all, please make sure that the memory module of your machine is not corrupt as this can be the reason of the issue.

Please download one of the archives depending on what media type you are going to use:

diskette
    CD
    USB Flash drive

You can find more information on how to burn an ISO image to a CD at:

here and here

Unpack the archive and create bootable media with the test.

After that boot your PC from the media and memtest will start automatically. When it is 100% completed, create a digital photo and contact our Live Chat service here. We will find the reason for the backup file corruption.

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.