Need Help with AOL adding crap please

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DoeZ0763, May 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoeZ0763

DoeZ0763 Registered Member

Hello all...

I just switched over from my roadrunner to aol broadband...(cheaper) Now I realize that I didn't really even need to install AOL because I can simply go to my interent the way I always have but I figured what the hell...I'm paying for it so why not...the only thing is is that when I installed AOL it added a whole bunch of other crap that I don't believe I really need...for ex. AOL safety and security center stuff...Port Magic...this said something about it using my router...no idea...but I what I need to know is because I use Windows Xp Home Edition ...Spyware Blaster...AdAware...and AVG AV...do I really need all this stuff it added on? Can you tell me what I can delete or if I can delete it? I was pretty happy with the way my system was before hand so I don't feel I need all this other stuff. Hope you can understand all this...I ramble alot. Thanks for any help and suggestions you have to offer;)

2. MojoWorkin

MojoWorkin Registered Member

Unfortunately, AOL doesn't allow removal of most of the crap it adds.
    But, the Port Magic can be removed, but it's not easy.
    Start here:
    http://support.networkmagic.com/cgi...nNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1
    Then double check it didn't leave a folder in C:\Program Files, if it did, delete it.
    Next, search C:\ (using built in Windows Search function) for any items pertaining to Port Magic, or Network Magic, delete as necessary.
    Its typical file name is Pure Networks Port Magic . Then it creates new startup key with name Pure Networks Port Magic and value PortAOL.exe . You can also find it in your processes list with name PortAOL.exe or Pure Networks Port Magic .
    I recommend dnld HijackThis to scan for startup registry entries that it has created, remove as needed.
    Next run a file cleaner, such as CCleaner or CleanUp behind all these actions, and maybe a registry cleaner, more sufficient than CC, maybe, jv16PowerTools, or RegSeeker.

***Be sure to create a registry backup PRIOR to removing entries using these detailed cleaners.***

Then, open regedit, and manually search for entries it created, some of these will have to be removed individually.
    I found this, but I say here, I Have Not Tried This, but it's worth a look:
    http://www.mrtech.com/news/messages/4617.html

I believe AOL also installs Wild Tangent software for it's games, and that has been referred to as trouble for a long time. I remember way back when, I spent a week trying to remove Wild Tangent, and it's even harder to get rid of.
    Although its not technically considered spyware it does have built in components to update itself and gather information about the computer system.

Here's some removal info:
    (Since WildTangent loads into the Windows Control Panel its a little more difficult to remove then some items.)

Auto:
    http://support.wildgames.com/uninstall.html

Manual:
    1) Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel
    2) Double-click on Add/Remove Programs
    3) Click on the WildTangent selection and Change/Remove, Uninstall, or Add/Remove depending on the operating system. Then follow the onscreen prompts to remove the WT Driver.
    4) Now run Hijackthis and fix or Remove the following line (if it exists)

04 - HKLM\..\Run: [WildTangent CDA] RUNDLL32.exe "C:\Program Files\WildTangent\Apps\CDA\cdaEngine0400.dll",cdaEngineMain

You may also have to use Hijackthis and remove the above line if you receive the following error message after using a spyware removal product to try to remove WildTangent
    Error Loading C:\Program Files\WildTangent\apps\CDA\cdaEngine0400dll
    This specified module could not be found
    Follow the rest of these steps if the Control Panel icon or WildTangent folders still remain.
    5) Remove the Wild Tangent Driver from the Control Panel if it still exists
    * Click on Start, Run and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    * Click on the Plus signs (+) next to the following sections
    o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    o SOFTWARE
    o Microsoft
    o Windows
    o CurrentVersion
    o Control Panel
    o Cpls
    * In the right hand column find the line for wtControlPanel, right click on it and Delete it
    * Close the Windows Registry
    6) Delete the WildTangent folder in Program Files and Windows
    * Open My Computer
    * Double-click on Drive C
    * Double-click on Program Files
    * Right-click on WildTangent and choose Delete (if the folder exists)
    * Go back to Drive C and double-click on Windows
    * Right-click on the WT folder and choose Delete (if the folder exists)

As for the AOL services, only the email scanner is a good deal, all others are not needed, since you are already covered by your previous setup: AVG, SB SD, etc.
    I bought an AOL contract when I first got my PC, (before I knew better...) and after only 9 months, cancelled it and paid off what I owed to be done with AOL. Just wish I could convince my Mom to do the same.
    Sorry you've entered into the AOL contract, could you cancell service, due to limited time used? Might be worth it in the long run.
    GL,
    Moj

Last edited: May 15, 2006
  3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I would instantly remove all that crap if possible.
    You don't need AOL on your pc.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.