need help to choose a good free imaging app.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by taleblou, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

After thinking I have decided to use a imaging software to make an image of my HD and to uninstall comodo time machine. Since I am new at this, can anyone please suggest a FREE easy simple good and trustworthy imaging software to me? I want to make an image of my pc to fall-back on it when the need rises.

Thanks in advance.

2. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Hi Taleblou! Recommend Macrium Reflect, Easeus Todo and Paragon Backup & Recovery (I think you still need to register for Paragon) - all 3 allow you to create a simple bootCD to restore an image should Windows become unbootable! These 3 are among the most reliable 3rd party free imaging programs available. Plus, don't forget Windows own imaging software - It's already on your system - ready to go - and probably the most reliable of the lot! ;)

3. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

thanks. I heard of windows own imaging, but is it as good as as others? I mean in imaging a full image incl. everything on HD and also 3rd party programs on my pc?

What I want is a simple imaging software that when needed just use a few click and all is back to the same way it is?

At one time I tried kriver-1 restore free but it screwed my win. and had to reformat.

4. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Hi taleblou,

Imho Win7's disk image backup suffers because of (at least) two major limitations:
    1. There is no provision for validating the backup image! :thumbd:
    2. There is no compression, so the resulting file is large! :thumbd:

Keriver 1-Click Restore is by far the simplest free disk-imager to use (I don't understand why it messed-up your system), although it is feature-limited. The free edition of Macruim Reflect is very reliable, but unfortunately it doesn't do incremental/differential backups! Quite a few users have reported serious restore issues with Easeus Todo Backup, so I never tried using it. :doubt:

So in the free category I recommend Paragon Backup & Recovery Compact Edition which I have found to be highly reliable and more robust than most other free image backup apps. :thumb:

Cruise

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  5. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Windows Backup has a dead easy option to save your entire hard drive – (create system image) My only issue with Windows imaging is that it is now taking 2.5 hours to image my 100+GBs, whereas Easeus Todo, Macrium Reflect and Paragon Backup take one hour or less. I run images weekly using all 3 of these progams, so I don't bother validating my images – I've never had an issue yet.
    IMO one of the biggest issues with free 3rd party imaging programs is their Linux based bootCDs – these can be problematical in 'seeing' your external drive where you wish to save\restore your images - ( I have issues myself with the Macrium bootCD) I find the Windows Repair CD the most reliable – (not to mention that you can use it for other 'troubleshooting' issues with Windows) - I've never had a problem with it not 'seeing' external drives - plus, finding\selecting an image to restore is easy. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.