Need help speeding up my slow pc

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Simon Phoenix, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

1.1 Ghz, cerleron processor 256mb, slow computer, I need to speed this up this is crazy, I am on dialup until I get another apartment, I currently live at home.

My security is f-prot, neveda, spywareblaster and a couple more, I've attach a print screen for viewing.

Help me remove unwanted programs that take up memory, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

You need a memory upgrade to at least 512mb. I see a lot of older systems with 256 that are way too slow. Memory is cheap. Companys like Kingston and Crucial have memory configurators that canhelp you to select the right part numbers for your system.

3. Simon Phoenix

Okay, I will wait till friday and buy memory but it has to be under $60 bucks, that's the limit for now, I will also delete programs and tune down my security since this pc can't handle much but looking at the screen, can you see any programs that I can unistall?

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Which OS are you running at present?

5. Simon Phoenix

Xp Pro....

I've thought of getting rid of Itunes since it uses quicktime and installing www.mediamonkey.com instead to burn my cd's.

Also, though of getting rid of spywareblaster and maybe hotpop and just using webmail for now.

Just a though.

6. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I think he is Running XP. Can guess from the theme in the picture.

Disable Updater for F Prot. Uses the window Secheduler for it. Search on wilder for more info.

Disable ewidoctrl.exe. It used to not work. Don't know when did they change that.

You need to tweak your services. And i see you haven't done much if any.
    I had a Updated version of Blackviper Services for Sp2 with addition of Comment. See if i can dig it out somwhere. ( For now you can search in wilder for the archieve copy. He site is currently down. )

Few tips. Right Click My computer -> Properties -> Advanced Performace -> Choose Best performance. ( That will disable the theme, save you around 4 - 5 Mb Memory )

Disable Remote Desktop and Recovery if you don't use it.

I think that is google web accerleration proxy there? I think it causes problem. So better not use it. But if you are happy with it then........

7. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I was able to look up all of the unknown processes, except "dunnow.exe". What is it? Where is it on your hard drive?

http://www.processlibrary.com/
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/index.php

8. Simon Phoenix

I killed the process for ewido, how do I disable it? I don't think Task manager can disable a process for good. I've set up the best performance a minute ago, I have to reboot for it to take affect.

That's google accelerator, it works somewhat, I think it's better for I.E than Firefox. I think it looks cool but it might not be worth much.

Dunno.exe is a process from my isp www.highstream.net I think, I will try to disable it. I will also check out black viper site to disable a load of crap.

thanks.

9. iwod

iwod Registered Member

In Start menu there should be a Admin tools - > services and choose Ewidoctrl to disable it.

And Google accerlerator is not very secure ( yet ) you may want to remove it. As there are numerous report on the story so i will not repeat again.

Don't use Itunes , go and get Foobar2000. ( b4 you say it is ugly, it can look good it you customize it properly. However that is amother topic )

I forgot to mention you could disable fast user switching and Windows Xp User Longon and revert back to W2k logon style. Again faster and less Ram.

( i know it is not pretty, but if you want fast and little ram that is the price. Although i think getting yourself another 512 Mb of Ram is the best upgrade. But i suppose you use the old SD Ram which is actually rather expensive )

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Check out http://www.newegg.com for RAM, they don't have the calculators, but they have some VERY good prices on RAM, and even some great deals on (downloadable) software (BOClean and True Image, to name a couple.)

You might also think about a better CPU cooler, THIS ONE should do :D :D :D

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

BlackVipers site, for help in disabling unnecessary services, has been down for awhile.

But you can download his Services guide from this thread.

Another alternative site is here.

But even with all the recommended tweaks, an extra 256MB RAM would be a great help with XP.

Alternatively drop down to Win2000!

12. squash

squash Registered Member

Good day Simon,

I have the same processor as you (Celeron 1.1Ghz) and worse RAM then you (128MB).

Heres what I did:
    *Disable XP theme and Themes service in services.msc (Yes, I know that you may like the Fisher price toy theme. But I like classic because i looks professional and is way way faster) 3-5 MB saved
    *Get rid of Google Web Accelator, use Tweak Network Settings extension for Firefox instead. 8MB Saved
    *What is ipctray.exe? Do you need it? If not, get rid of it. 3MB saved
    *Get rid of Hotpop. Get Gmail and use Gmail notifier extension for Windows
    *What is dunnow.exe? Do you need it? If not, get rid of of it 2.5MB saved.
    *Replace Ewido (or use it as on demand instead of enabling resident shield). I don't run an on resident antitrojan, let alone an anti trojan and have no problems. F-Prot is good enough (since your on slow PC) 1.5 MB saved
    *Turn off XP Switch user (through services.msc)
    *Removed any programs that come bundled with your PC that you don't use
    *Removed any programs that you don't use through msconfig

Saved min: 18MB or so

Heres my task manager:
    RAM: 128MB
    CPU: Celeron 1.1 Ghz
    I'm running XP Home

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.