Need help SCSI-> SATA RAID

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by qmibkim, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qmibkim

qmibkim Registered Member

I have winXP a system with a 150GB scsi drive, I want to replace it with 2 new 500GB SATA drives in Raid1. I want to clone the old drive onto the first partition of the new SATA RAID, and have a second partition with the remaining 350GB.

The main issue is that I want to clone temporarily onto an external USB drive. Restore it onto the RAID drives while its installed in a separate computer. Test everything then swap the SCSI drives out for the RAID drives on the original system.

I have a few questions regarding this process.
    1) I have drivers for the promise raid controller, but I'm not sure where to put them. I read that I should "install" the drives before cloning the C:\ drive but I don't have an install option. I have the .inf, .cat, and .sys files but I'm not sure where to put them in order for windows to recognize the Raid controller once its cloned to a new system. I want to be able to boot off the new drives.

2) I am using a USB external 500GB drive as a temporary hold because I can't clone directly to the raid drives. I remember in the past having trouble with the acronis boot cd and detection of the USB drives. Can anyone give info on proper use of USB drives? Was I doing something wrong or is something wrong with my boot CD?

3) Is there anywhere I can go to get more detailed info on how to go about doing what I mentioned above?

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello qmibkim,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that in case you can use Backup approach to transfer the system to the RAID array. Namely, create an image archive of your system and store it on the external USB hard drive with a view to restore the created image to the RAID array later on.

Please also note that in order to restore the system to different hardware (hard drive controller, for example) we may recommend that you use Acronis True Image in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore. Have a look at this thread <True Image - Moving from a IDE boot Drive to RAID Windows 2003> for more details.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.