Need help,please

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

Downloaded the stardict dictionary.I also downloaded the freedict-eng-tur.dict.dz from the repositories.I know that I have to extract that file in usr/share/dictd to usr/share/stardict/dic

I think I have to write a command in the terminal.
    sudo mv /usr/share/dictd-freedict-eng-tur.dict.dz/ /usr/share/stardict/dic/

This I think is to move the file,but how do I extract it?There is something missing....

2. quintile

quintile Registered Member

Your onboard archiver should be able to handle it..then you can move it where you want..or listen to linuxforall.. :D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Cet,

I use Stardict but as far as I know, I had to download the bz2 zipped files, extract them and then move them to /usr/share/stardict/dic folder but these extracted folder contain more than just the dz file, they contain few idx files as well.

4. cet

cet Registered Member

Ok I will only add Eng to Eng dictionary.
    When I go to this site h ttp://stardict.sourceforge.net/Dictionaries_dictd-www.dict.org.php
    I want to download the Wordnet tarball.But when I click on it, it redirects to a new page and there are many packages.I do not know which one to download.
    I have the stardict which I installed from the repos.It only shows the meanings in Chinese.I just could not find the Eng dictionary files to add.

Edit:I have read more than 50 pages on internet about this stardict dictionary and still have not understood how to add a dictionary to it.Many ppl are complainig about this and many of them are not able to use it..

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

WordNet is not very good at all. For English the one I use is http://dictionary.reference.com/ There is also a translator where you enter text to be translated.

Add it to your search engines and assign a keyword e.g. 'd' Then to search for say 'mildew' just enter d<space>mildew in the address bar (or use the search engine dropdown to select the dictionary and then search).

6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Cet,

Just try downloading the bz2 file, you can add Wordnet, Collings and Webster as I have done, I also use the speech engine for pronounciation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.