Need Help Please with FireFox/YouTube Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hawki, Feb 23, 2017.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Hi :)

Today I started to have the following problem viewing YouTube Videos.

When I click on a YouTube video directly from the YouTube site or from a link on another site, the video page opens and the audio of the video auto-starts, but the video does not. When I click on the start arrow on the video the video AND a second audio track plays while the auto-started audio portion continues and is out of synch.

While this is happening, if I right-click on the video and select "view video" the video and audio track plays correctly and the out of sync auto-started audio stops.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled FF, but this does not correct the problem.

I have also tried rolling back my FF settings and profile to various dates with Moz BackUp but that does not fix the problem either.

The problem does not present itself when viewing the same videos in Opera.

I tried a System Restore, only to discover that my System Restore does not work in either normal or safe mode with several restore points attempted.(Sys Restore goes through all the motions, but restart shows an error of non-completion.)

I have been derelict in updating my images and the most recent is of at least a month ago. For a variety of reasons, including that I am not certain that doing so would fix this issue, I would not go that far back.

Any suggestions.

This is a new problem that just spontaneously appeared and I have no idea what caused it since nothing that I am aware of has changed on my system since last evening when all was good.

This was not the effect of the MSFT Flash update, since all was good after that until today and I see no reason why a Flash update would mess-up a FF video player.

FF 51.0.1 32X
    Win 10 AU 64X

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Flash on youtube is futile, firefox should go without it (HTML5).

MozBackup is futile, use a more decent file backup. and dont recover profiles from newer firefox on older firefox - could be worse.

please provide some information please, it may an outdated graphics driver or hwa (hardware accelleration)
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/use-troubleshooting-information-page-fix-firefox

test firefox in safe-mode please:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode
    or
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

reset your firefox profile to keep bookmarks and other stuff, read here please
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings
    (keeping bookmarks, history, passwords, cookies, form data aso.)

or create a new profile
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_new_Firefox_profile_on_Windows or
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

if you have "magic actions for youtube" or turn off the lights" installed, get a newer version or if not available disable it.

i think your problem is extension made or profile damage.

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thanks Brummelchen for your suggestions :)

4. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I just noticed that when I right click on the video and click-on "viewvideo" to get a synched video and audio, the URL changes from a YouTube URL to a Google URL.

Is this info any help in identifying my specific problem?

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I'm running this version on Win7, however, Fx51 should be running HTML5 as the default player, not Flash.

Go to this page, and verify that the browser is indeed running HTML5: https://www.youtube.com/html5

6. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Thanks JR :) I have been using FF's HTML5 player. I have also tried the HTML5 Video Everywhere extension. I know it's not a Flash Player.My HTML 5 player works fine.

The problem is that the audio from the video starts immediately and if I start the HTML5 player the auto-started audio continus so that I have two out of synch audio tracks going simultaneously. I know the problem is somehow related to HTML5 since the issue does not present itself using Opera.

I believe I have isolated the problem:

What is happening is that Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation, aka: "audiodg.exe" is auto-playing the audio from at least every YouTube video my FF browser lands on.(It is also playing the audio from ads on certain sites where the source is not visually apparent.)

I understand what the function of this process is and that it's been a somewhat problematic systen file since Win 7 (usually the problem is high cpu/ram usage. memory leaks, and crashes) -- what I do not understand is why it is suddenly behaving this way on my PC.

The standard, go-to suggested "method" of disabling it without totally shutting down any and all audio is to disable "Enhancements" in the system's main audio driver. But this has not worked for me. Stopping/ending the process does little because it simply re-enables itself on the next video. Terminating the process disables all audio until the next reboot.

Does anyone know how I can stop audiodg.exe from auto-playing the audio content of all YouTube videos when using FireFoxo_O

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Do you have an old version of the AutoPager add-on installed in Firefox? Or maybe AutoPagerize and/or PageZipper?

Sounds to me like an extension is auto loading the videos.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

9. hawki

hawki Registered Member

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Good to know; thanks for posting back. You're welcome! Take care.

11. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

audiodg is triggered from the audio driver which is started my codecs based on audio/video files. no magic.
    youtube delivers audio and video separate - but honestly your main problem is NOT solved. read again my first posting please and report about options.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.