Need help please with Backdoor.Beasty.Family

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Dan1975, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan1975

Dan1975 Registered Member

Hey,

I'm fairly new to this whole forum thing but am in desperate need of help. I have recently been experiencing real problems with an apparent virus called Backdoor.Beasty.Family. I used to have Nortons 2005 installed and everytime i would right click on a file or icon, it would come up with a warning saying that the virus had been detected and removed but this would occur 4 or 5 times everytime i right clicked so obviously not gone.

When i disabled Nortons and right clicked, i obviously no lnger got the warning but the firewall would ask to allow MSN Messenger access to the net when i had not attempted to run Messenger.

I have run about 8 different online scans along with a Nortons scan in safe mode as recommended on the Symantec website to no avail. None of the file names they said to look for in the registry were there either.

I have since uninstalled Nortons and installed PC-Cillin instead only to find that the same thing happens when I right click except this time i get the warning message from PC-Cillin and it says it has quarantined it but cannot remove it. I have run a TDS-3 scan which others have told me seems normal.

I just don't know where to go with this one I am thinking that the only way to get rid of it is to wipe my harddrive and start again but i really don't want to do that.

Does anyone out there know how to get rid of Backdoor.Beasty.Family??
    I would be eternally grateful.

Regards,

Dan (Sydney, Australia)

PS: I have tried two ther forums and their suggestions have not got rid of it as yet. They seem out of ideas. Just wondering if new blood and a new outlook may help me?
    PPS: I have also posted this in the DiamondCS area. Just didn't know which one it should have gone in. Sorry for any confusion.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.