Need help please with Backdoor.Beasty.Family

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Dan1975, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan1975

Dan1975 Registered Member

Hey,

I'm fairly new to this whole forum thing but am in desperate need of help. I have recently been experiencing real problems with an apparent virus called Backdoor.Beasty.Family. I used to have Nortons 2005 installed and everytime i would right click on a file or icon, it would come up with a warning saying that the virus had been detected and removed but this would occur 4 or 5 times everytime i right clicked so obviously not gone.

When i disabled Nortons and right clicked, i obviously no lnger got the warning but the firewall would ask to allow MSN Messenger access to the net when i had not attempted to run Messenger.

I have run about 8 different online scans along with a Nortons scan in safe mode as recommended on the Symantec website to no avail. None of the file names they said to look for in the registry were there either.

I have since uninstalled Nortons and installed PC-Cillin instead only to find that the same thing happens when I right click except this time i get the warning message from PC-Cillin and it says it has quarantined it but cannot remove it. I have run a TDS-3 scan which others have told me seems normal.

I just don't know where to go with this one I am thinking that the only way to get rid of it is to wipe my harddrive and start again but i really don't want to do that.

Does anyone out there know how to get rid of Backdoor.Beasty.Family??
    I would be eternally grateful.

Regards,

Dan (Sydney, Australia)

PS: I have tried two ther forums and their suggestions have not got rid of it as yet. They seem out of ideas. Just wondering if new blood and a new outlook may help me?
    PPS: I have also posted this in the DiamondCS area. Just didn't know which one it should have gone in. Sorry for any confusion.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.