Need Help on Browsing Any anonymous

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by superb8989, Nov 10, 2016.

1. superb8989

superb8989 Registered Member

Hi i am new here.
    Need help on browsing really clean.
    Means a machine that can browsing online and there is nothing could retrieve/recover my track on the machine itself.

I tried the LiveCD on my laptop. But it is so frustating to boot and use it. After i boot it up several hardware is no fucntioning like the wifi and keyboard.

I need something that i can do on windows or some solution.

Thanks guys

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

See you are new here. Take a look at TAILS. It will run in RAM on your machine and will leave NO tracks on your hard drive. Not really something to use every single day and spend a few hours on, in my opinion. It is however "idot proof" (not calling you an idiot) because there is NO access to your hard drive. Also, TAILS uses TOR so nothing back to your IP.

3. superb8989

Thanks for the response. I need the hardrive really clean. If someone have access to my hard drive and the cant pull anything form it. Should i go Shadowdefender and Sandbox the browser?

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

You may have misunderstood my post about TAILS. It runs COMPLETELY in RAM on your machine. NO marks are made on the hard drive at all. In fact your computer would run just fine if you took the drive out of the machine. Lots of folks use TAILS on machines that don't even have a hard drive.

5. 142395

142395 Guest

Yes, TAILS is the best. ShadowDefender nor SBIE can't be perfect alternative. By default, they remove traces only logically i.e. anyone who have physical access to your HDD can retrieve traces from the disk by data recovery utils. SBIE have an option for erase method so you can use e.g. Eraser (data wipe software) to securely delete browsing traces, but even that is not a perfect solution. As they run on NTFS which have jounaling, some of your traces may be saved in other place. Even if that hadn't occur, still OS will have recorded some operatoins and metadata so those who have forensics knowledge may get some ideas about what you did on that time. If your drive is SSD, the story is bit defferent tho.

6. 142395

142395 Guest

Ah, well, another option can be full disk encryption? Tho it brings other problem(s).

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yes, it can :)

But most people find it inconvenient, at best, to work without persistent storage. You can use Tails, write stuff to encrypted archives, and keep them somewhere in the cloud. Then you only need to remember where they are, and your credentials for accessing them. And maybe you need local storage for that ;) It's a hard problem :(

8. Anonfame1

Anonfame1 Registered Member

Qubes OS if you want persistence but also want great control on privacy, anonymity, as well as great security. You could open Torbrowser in a whonix disposableVM and once you close the VM, everything you did is gone.

Qubes also makes handling network devices extremely easy. It is trivial for example to watch Netflix on Firefox connected straight to the firewallVM, a work firefox launched in a fedora/debian appvm run through a proxyVM for your VPN, and run Torbrowser through the sys-whonix vm... and do it all at the same time.

In terms of exploit control, there is absolutely no better OSS option atm (IMO), and possibly not even a better closed source super-secret .gov option. It practices security by isolation, so if an exploit wrecks hell in an appvm, it will be contained to the domain it is launched in. The only way to break out of a domain is to exploit Xen- in the 5 years Qubes has been around that has only happened once and been theorized one other time; while the Linux kernel has 10 million + lines of code, the Xen hypervisor only has about 150k. They are going to something supposedly even better with Qubes OS v.4, so we'll have to see.

Anyways, I still use Arch as my main :p I have messed with Qubes quite a bit though and may move to it one day if my threat model warrants it.

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

10. superb8989

thank for all the response

11. superb8989

So if im using a livelinux livecd. nothing is written on both harddisk n usb?
    and how about the performance of livecd.
    is there any difference booting from cd/pendrive/externalssd/externalhdd ?
    are the rams size affect the speed of livecd ?

12. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I use LiveUSB with persistence on a USB3 port, booted from Bios. E.g. Slacko Puppy.

Essentially, this runs in Ram until you save at the end of the session, and the trick is, it's quite possible to remove the Usb stick before you head off browsing, so there is no possibility of it writing anywhere (if you have no laptop hdd, and discount subversion of bios and other firmware storage). It complains a bit as you shut down, but that is unimportant.

It's also possible to update and add apps with persistence (but with no browsing or other risky activities in that session).

Performance is excellent - there is a load time, but depending on the distribution and amount of bloat, that's quite short.

PS - I'm not seeking anonymity in those sessions particularly (e.g. for online banking), and other distributions would be more suitable for that, in conjunction with VPN.

13. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

Here are some theoretical max. speeds of CD, DVD and USB media.
    Note, speeds are here in megabytes not in megabits that manufacturers usually use

Max. reading speeds​
    CD-R 52x 7,8 MB/s
    DVD-R 24x 33 MB/s
    USB 2.0 60 MB/s theoretical, 35 MB/s actual
    USB 3.0 625 MB/s theoretical, 500 MB/s actual and
    specs say that you are lucky to get 400 MB/s

So if you have a CD drive that is capable of 52x reading speed and also CD-R disc that supports that 52x reading speed then best reading speed you can hope is about 8 MB/s.
    Ditto with DVD drives and discs (you need DVD drive capable of 24x reading speed and DVD-R disc that supports 24x reading speed otherwise no chance of achieving that theoretical max speed of 33 MB/s)

So the loading speed is greatly affected by your equipment and the media you use (that is, you can't hope to achive anything like 500 - 400 MB/s with USB 3.0 stick if your computer only has USB 2.0 port) but after that it should be okay and fast because most of the stuff should have been loaded into RAM.

And yes, the RAM speed matters (but not as so much as the media you choosed to boot from) as will also the RAM size (some LiveCD/DVD Linux distros stupidly try to load everything into RAM at once while more advanced distros use XZ compressed read only Squashfs that will save memory). Example: I once tried to use Fedora LiveDVD on one laptop but could not use it because the laptop only had 2 GB RAM and Fedora happily tried to load the whole DVD disc into that 2 GB ...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  14. superb8989

currentyly im using liveUSB with linux mint for browsing using VPN.
    so the key thing of liveUSB's oerformance is the RAM itself on the machine?
    thanks bro for the details :)

15. Anonfame1

Anonfame1 Registered Member

Haha, I swear you linger around on here waiting for me to post so you can drop your "Well actually..." Thats what... 2 or 3 times now in the last few weeks you've corrected me? :p

I mean this in a good way of course- Ive since been trying to research SLAT, Xen bugs, etc so that I have a better understanding. I consider my setup (on Arch at least) to be pretty stout but yet I still read daily of some vector, flaw, or technology that I've never heard of :mad: Security/privacy is a maddening hobby.

16. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I think the main issue is that of the load time from USB. Once in RAM, any OS tends to perform ok! That will be a little bit longer for mint simply because it has more stuff in it by default. But my experience on any of them is that the load time is quite acceptable.

17. ClaytonThomas

ClaytonThomas Registered Member

Use Tails or WHONIX linux. There is no way to surf the internet 100% anonymous. If you don't use a VPN, you ISP can still log your browsing history.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.