need help of router firewall experts!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by siberianwolf, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siberianwolf

siberianwolf Registered Member

hi,
    in order to solve my internet connection issues which causes web pages not to open/load or half load/open (w/out images) and web image display problems; how should i set the below values? what do you recommend?
    thanks.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

which router?

3. siberianwolf

problem solved. seems it's all about changing "Maximum incomplete TCP/UDP sessions number from same host" value.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

default settings should suffice. did you always have connections issues? is there another router you can swap with to exclude any sofware on your machine as a cause missing images?

5. siberianwolf

thanks for your reply Cudni.

almost always.

no, there isn't. but when i turn off either the firewall or the "spi & anti-dos" feature, everything turns to normal. so i don't think it has anything to do w/ either routher or machine/softwares. if you meant to ask whether i have another pc i could use to see if it's a sw installed on my pc causing this problem, then yes i do have two other mobile pc's, but the same problem occurs w/ them, too.

also, after i changed the default "10" value for "Maximum incomplete TCP/UDP sessions number from same host" to 20, some web pages that used to not load/open or load/open w/ missing images now open/load w/ no problems.
    thanks.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you contact your service provider? You shouldn't have to fiddle with your router settings to that extent

7. siberianwolf

aamof, i did. but all they say is there seems to be no problem @ their end and it's either my pc configuration or faulty/old modem/router. that's all they say.
    again, thank you so much for your help.

oh, almost forgot to mention. when i was searching for a solution to this problem on the net, i've seen that i'm not alone, many people seem to have similar issues, especially when they use google image search, google maps, etc. on several forums, i've read what others got to say about that, and they say you should alter the value for "Maximum incomplete TCP/UDP sessions number from same host" and other similar settings under "dos detect criteria" title. so i thought maybe it could help me solve this problem.
    cheers

8. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Take a look at DD WRT wiki regarding half open connections and timeout periods.
    I think your problem is the low amount of RAM in your router.Poor routers have less memory than they should and when the firmware is bugged the memory filles with NAT info .
    Solution is either a new firmware either a new router with at least 32 megs of ram and a powerfull CPU.You have many cheap alternatives out there.Try quality brands or get pFSense and make your own from an older rig.
    And turn off loging capabilities ,it uses RAM as well.

9. siberianwolf

thank you sm3k3r and thanks everybody. problem solved. all it took was change the "Maximum incomplete TCP/UDP sessions number from same host" value.
    cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.