need help downloading music from cd

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by frank47, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank47

frank47 Registered Member

LIKE TO START OFF TELLING YOU WHAT IM TRYING TO DO,IMPORT MUSIC TO WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER.BEFORE ACCIDENTILY DELETING MY SHARED FOLDER FROM KAZAA,EVERYTHING WORKED FINE.STILL HAVE MUSIC IN MEDIA PLAYER,BUT CANNOT IMPORT THAT TO MOVIEMAKER.SO MY PROBLEM AS I SEE IT IS TO DOWNLOAD MUSIC TO MY MUSIC FILE IN A FORMAT COMPATABLE WITH MOVIE MAKER. OS XP HOME.THANKS A MILLION.

2. frank47

Sure would like some help!!!!!!

3. Xaq

Xaq Registered Member

My House, it's on that street with the thing
    Alright frank, I'm alittle confused on what your trying to say here. Was the music in your Shared Folder (which was deleted) first played in windows media player, so that you can still play it in wmp, but cant import it to your wmm? Or was the music on a cd, which you are trying to upload onto your computer (as inferred in the title)?

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Sorry -cross-posted with Xaq.

Seems like a pretty specialized application that perhaps not a lot of Wilders members are familiar with. This is primarily a security-minded place. I don't know squat about Windows Movie maker, but I do have a few questions:

If you deleted your shared folder from Kazaa, doesn't this mean you have also deleted the audio files inside (the mp3's or WMA's I'm guessing)?

What do you mean exactly when you write "still have music in media player" - Do you mean Windows Media Player still has the titles in the "Music Library"? If so, I imagine Windows Media Player will tell you the files are no longer there once you have the Library updated.

Have you tried looking at some newsgroups for info on Windows Movie maker?

microsoft.public.windowsxp.video
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  5. frank47

Thank you fellows for you replys.Im a novice so I will try to explain again,because you lost me.I had a shared folder of music titles which i could play in windows media,or import to movie maker.Since deleting the shared folder Icant import any music to movie maker.If I try to import music from cd to movie maker,it tells me cda is not acceptable format.So I guess what im asking is,how to get music with proper format which as far as i can research are .aif .aifc.asf .au mp2 mp3 .mpa .snd wav and .wma.Ididnt think this was so much a question of movie maker,as how do i download music to a file on my pc in the proper format.Hope you can make heads and tails of this.Thanks for listening.

6. frank47

Sorry optigrab if im in wrong place. I thought when it said general topics,I could present my dilemma.

7. frank47

Sorry I confused you XAQ The music I have now on wmp, i downloaded from cd.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

the way I put music on my comp is through wmp 9 It handles all of the formats you mentioned Or I can change the format with my nero ultra ver.6 and then place them in a folder.

9. frank47

Bigc how do i do that? I have wmp 9.

10. optigrab

Hi Frank47:

I've copied the following from the Help file in WMP 9:

11. frank47

Thank you optigrab,for all the effort you gave for that info.But my problem is after downloading,the format is cda,what ever that is,and is not compatable with wmm.

12. optigrab

frank47,

First off, I think you mean "rip" or "copy" music, not "download". Rip implies that you are copying the music from the CD and (at the same time) converting what you have copied into a different format and saving it to your hard drive. The word "download" means to copy the files from somewhere on the internet without changing file format.

When you say "after downloading,the format is cda", what exactly are you looking at? Is it possibly you are using windows explorer to view the files on your CD? If so, you are looking in the wrong place. If you are successfully getting Windows Media player to "copy" the music on your CD, then it must be in a format *other than* CDA. The files on your cd are identified by Windows Explorer as CDA files, and they will stay that way even after you have "ripped" them using Windows Media Player. If you have generated CDA files on your hard drive, then you haven't used Windows media player properly to rip music, please see thw WMP help file and the instructions I posted earlier.

If you have used Windows Media Player properly to "rip" the files, then a folder would have been created somewhere on you hard drive with the music files. They will most likely be in WMA format, which is what you want.

13. frank47

Thanks optigrab,going to try everything you said .Will keep you posted.

14. frank47

OPTIGRAB,HOPE YOUR NOT GETTING TIRED OF ME,BUT I CANT FIND CHANGE MY CURRENT FORMAT SETTINGS.AND WHEN I CLICK COPY NO MESSAGE APPEARS STARTS COPYING IMMEDIATELY.WENT INTO TOOLS >OPTIONS THERE IS NO REFERENCE TO CHANGE FORMAT IN ANY OF THE TAB WINDOWS.

15. frank47

OPTIGRAB YOUR THE BEST.AFTER I MADE THE CHANGES YOU SUGGESTED(NOT LOOKING FOR THE THE WINDOWS TO POP UP EXACTLY LIKE YOU STATED).AND FINALLY IMPORTING FROM PROPER LOCATION,EVERYTHING WORKED LIKE A CHARM.I OWE YOU. REALLY APPRECIATE THE TIME AND PATIENCE YOU HAD.THANKS AGAIN.AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO CONTRIBUTED,AND WHO WERE RIGHT,BUT I WAS TOO SLOW TO COMPREHEND.GREAT BUNCH OF SHIPMATES.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2004
  16. optigrab

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.