Need help deciding what to choose.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by luanme, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luanme

luanme Registered Member

Hi, I'm new to this forums and I need your guys' help.

I'm interested in getting new security for my computer and I have been checking out many free alternatives and reading reviews / watching videos about them.

I have decided that i will definitely get Comodo's firewall and possibly its Defense+ but i need some help in deciding what combination of products to get.

Out of the following combinations that i have decided on(CIS = Comodo Internet Security),

-CIS with all it's features
    -CIS with all it's features and BOClean (overkill?)
    -Comodo firewall w/ Defense+ and Avira Antivirus Free Version
    -Comodo firewall w/o Defense +, Avira Antivirus Free, and Threatfire

which one (if any) would you choose and why? Do you recommend an alternate selection of products?

What I like about Avira is its great detection rates and the fact that it's free. Comodo AV also seems great but I haven't decided on its effectiveness. Comodo firewall is a given since it's the best in the market.

Nevertheless, I would like some advice and opinions about this.

Thanks in advance.

2. Balatsokas

Balatsokas Former Poster

Comodo Firewall with D+ and Avira Free
    (When Configure AntiVir, Set Heuristics: HIGH and Guard->Scan->Scan when Writing)

Avira will cover BoClean (Trojans, active Malware processes etc.)
    and Comodo Defense+ strong HIPS will cover ThreatFire.

Try to have a second Free scanner (as a Backup); just in case...

Either
    SUPERAntiSpyware Free Here
    or
    Malwarebytes AntiMalware Here
    or
    A-Squared Free Here

3. guest

guest Guest

Comodo Defense+ will NOT cover ThreatFire, and viceversa, are different concepts of protection.
    And antivir free do not have:
    AntiPhishing
    AntiSpyware
    AntiRootkit
    Email protection
    WebGuard...
    http://www.free-av.com/en/products/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

I will use CIS with all it's features, comodo is going to add a behavior blocker, and an improvement of heuristics very soon, and maybe I would disable D+(too many popups xD), and intalls Threatfire while the new comodo update arrive.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2008
  4. 3xist

3xist Guest

Hi,

Next CIS version will improve CIS even more, less pop ups. And yes heuristics will be added next version as well.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

are they adding a bevabiour blocker too?

6. 3xist

3xist Guest

No. Why would they need to?

The HIPS is already one of the most powerful out there. What I am saying is Comodo are now slowly, but surely making CIS (Defense+) more and more usable, and next version is another step in the usability direction without sacrificing security.

7. Balatsokas

Balatsokas Former Poster

-Avira Free Has AntiRootkit protection! As well as, AntiPhising protection!
    (Please, read MORE Carefully your INFO!)
    -For the Spyware protection Avira Heuristcs set to High will offer some AntiSpyware protection.
    SAS Free, MBAM or A2 Free will clean any Spyware left.
    -For e-mail protection, I don't know if the user has Outlook or Gmail, Yahoo! etc.
    -WebGuard slows down Browsing to many users. Therefore, many users, here, have choose to remove WebGuard!

To be on topic:
    The specific user decided to use Freeware (Avira Personal),
    it is pointless to discuss what Avira Free lacks against Avira Premium!

Comodo Defense+ HIPS are very strong and will cover ThreatFire.
    -There was NOT a single incident that ThreatFire alarmed me from a Threat
    that Comodo Defense+ Hips Failed to do so!
    -Not to say that ThreatFire proved Lazy/Ineffective (as if it was Not there...)
    when Comodo Defense+ detected issues!
    -More and More users have abandoned ThreatFire (just check the Sigs) or
    Check the "What's your Security Setup" Thread!
    I wonder why...This must tell you something...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  8. Jaki

Jaki Guest

To me I think this is what you need

Comodo firewall w/o Defense +, Avira Antivirus Free, and Threatfire and Malwarebytes anti-malware (On-demand), because Avira free does not have anti-spyware.

Have peace of mind.:)

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I have chosen the above coloured setup because it consists of 3 strong layers from 3 different vendors with no overlap, will not conflict, even togheter should be a very light setup with no slowdowns and yes as suggested by others adding a ondemand scanner would be beneficial, my choice: SUPERAntiSpyware FREE

10. progress

progress Guest

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Do you know if the new version has started private beta testing yet?

12. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Luanme - listen me!

Balatsokas, lord and ntero: you are misinformed. Avira AntiVir Personal - he has a antirootkit. AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus - is the BEST.

Near my clock I see Avira Guard: Active.

This is the BEST choice from all antivirus.

Luanme - listen me !:argh:

*puppy*

13. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

PROROOtect is Correct.

What does Avira free offer for protection.

Virus,Worms, Trojans.
    AntiDialers
    AntiRootkit
    antiPhishing

What does Avira free not offer for protection
    AntiSpyware
    WebGuard
    Antidrive By
    Rescue system
    Fast premium Update Server
    Enhanced Email protection for pop and smtp.

14. luanme

luanme Registered Member

thanks for the info guys! i appreciate it
    if you have any more suggestions keep em comin'

15. 3xist

3xist Guest

No private betas yet. The mods are part of "private betas" or pre alpha software/releases, etc. But next version you should start seeing beginning of more usability, and this will continue going forward.

16. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Just trying to gauge if it was still going to be released this year. Only three weeks left. :) I am looking forward to it.

17. normishmael

normishmael Guest

Avira free does have anti-root kit ability.
    You can set the scan for a quick root kit search each time,or
    set up a dedicate more through,root kit scan.
    CIS is going to.......
    Starting to sounds a lot like Avast 5,The Worlds Best AV,that just does not seem to get here.

18. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

If you're going for freeware. I would recommend:

CIS with D+: I wouldn't use threatfire with it because there have and continue to be issues with threatfire and defense+ not working well together and letting keyloggers get through when combined, search the forum if you don't remember when this issue was being discussed. As far as I know it hasn't been fixed.

Avast Home Edition: You get AV, AS, AR, and some nice shields (p2p, web, etc.) Avira has a nice engine and the premium version has a higher detection rate, but the detection rates aren't that far apart and are less in the free version. You also have to pair it up with a AS which is another running process and there aren't very many good realtime free AS programs. Windows Defender probably taking the top choice.

That should keep you pretty safe. If you want to go even further you can look into virtualization/sandboxing. Sandboxie free is nice in that the free version is very usable. Geswall free is lacking in customizability. SafeSpace was nice, but is no longer supported. You could also look at Returnil Free as long as you haven't partitioned your hard drive for performance and just have one big partition for you're os and programs.

If you aren't interested in Avast then stick with CIS D+, Avira, and Windows Defender/Spyware Terminator.

19. sded

sded Registered Member

I am currently using Online Armor for firewall and HIPS and Avast! for antivirus/antispyware/antirootkit on 4 machines. I am also trying out the addition of Prevx/Edge for behavior monitor (blocker if you pay) on main computer based on the Wilders good reviews at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225190 . I like the characterization of a BB as a HIPS with AI, and when I used Comodo the need for the user to be the AI for D+ was always a concern, and also somewhat with OA. So my current top configuration:

Firewall/HIPS--Online Armor (Paid)
    AV/AS/AR--Avast! free
    BB-Prevx/Edge monitor free, removal by other
    Windows Defender free
    MVPS Hosts free
    SAS offline for removal free
    Acronis True Image to recover from mistakes ;)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  20. 3xist

3xist Guest

Pray for it! Heuristics is in next CIS version too (for AV Part). :) 3 weeks left, I know... This year has really flown through!

21. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I think the sort of setup you're proposing allied with/modified by many of the suggestions above will provide very good security indeed.

There have been a couple of suggestions for Avast among the recommendations for Avira. Now I'm not about to say Avira won't provide good security; plenty of folk on this forum and others swear by it.

I''m an Avast user, :) ,and all I want to point out is that the cleaning and detection engine in Avast's free (home) version is exactly the same as for the pro version. With other free AV's, that's not always the case. Some are partially limited ("crippled" was a term used above) in their scanning/cleaning scope.
    What's "crippled" in the Avast free version is the ability to run a scheduled scan.
    Me, I can live with that. :thumb: (Scans hardly ever find anything, anyway.)

22. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Not me, now running a mix of XP Pro policy management, Malware Defender (alll direct low access options) and a contained group of internet facing aps with THREATFIRE.

Anti cyclic thinking ;)

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

SDED,

Thanks for the IDEA!

When DefenseWall offers outbound protection, I will try the following setup

A) Malware Defender
    Allow execution for all, restrict only on low level and direct access plus 'system shut down' (of the more or less normal Windows operations) and warn when startup entry is changed

B) DefenseWall
    For outbound protection (v 2.5) and locking down any malware downloaded (any file format, suffix) in an UNTRUSTED environment

C) PrevX Free for attending on suspicious files (remove with simpel explorer delete, since only downladed files could be infected, but those files will still be locked down by DefenseWall)

This would be the absolute 'no user decision required' setup :eek:

(since I am done testing with my current setup and can not find anything what slips through/breaks in)

Again Thanks for the inspiration

24. Balatsokas

Balatsokas Former Poster

Kees, I tried your Rules (BTW Thanks) but TF failed
    when Comodo Defense+ protected me.

Anti-anti cyclic thinking...LOL:D

25. Balatsokas

Balatsokas Former Poster

Please, read my Posts -More- Carefully!
    I wrote that Avira -Free- DO have (= meaning YES) AntiRootkit Protection!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.