Need Help: 63 Sectors

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by aladdin, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I have been playing with my desktop a whole and managed to mess it again. I had the un-allocated 100MB partition where SRP resided. I moved the boot stuff to the system drive about a month ago.

So, I decided to delete the 100MB partition and the system partition. Didn't know how to format with diskpart. So, I booted into the imagaging program, formatted with the imaging program and restored the image. But instead of choosing to restore the Windows MBR, I restored it with the MRB in the image.

Now, I am getting the following error:

Reserved space before the first partition is less than 63 sectors!

And, the computer has come to crawling halt.

Need help from the Gurus, how to rectify this situation.

Best regards,

KOR!

2. aladdin

Tried the following commands in the Windows 7 sub-console:

Bootrec.exe /FixMBR
    Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
    Bootrec.exe /ScanOS
    Bootrec.exe /RebuildBCD

But still has no success.

Best regards,

KOR!

3. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

What imaging software are you using?

You deleted both partitions into one big partition it seems

The image is expecting space before the partition, as you took image before deleting space.

It's a alignment issue.

When you restored MBR image, it expected start of partition further in. You formatted it to one big one.
    Did you not try restoring image without restoring image MBR?? I guess your stuck now with a corrupt partition table. Fixmbr won't cut it.

Get hold of mbrwiz. run the command mbrwiz /list to see which number of the partition is system usually 0. then run the command mbrwiz /wipe=head /disk=0. 0 being the system partition number could be 1 check with list command. www.brothersoft.com/mbrwizard-download-190137.html

I guess your using a livecd, good luck.
    If you can't use mbrwiz try Copywipe from Terabyte. Wipe it all www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php

Restore the image only, then repair with install disk, as i don't know what image software your using.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  4. aladdin

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your response.

Imaging software, which I own and have made images less than a month ago:

1. Macrium Reflect
    2. FarStone Total Recovery
    3. Norton Ghost
    4. Acronis True Image Home 2011
    5. Keriver 1-Click Restore
    6. Image for Windows
    7. Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite 2011
    8. EASEUS Todo Workstation : Most current and one week old.

Imaging software, which I don't own and have made images less than a month ago, as trail software:

1. O&O Disk Image
    2. Drive Snapshot
    3. ShadowProtect : Most current and one week old.

I used ShadowProtect to restore the image. I also own MBR Wizard, and I took backed up the MBR with the following software:

1. MBR Wizard
    2. EasyBCD
    3. MBRBackup.

Here are the image of the hard drives and EASUES Todo Workstation, which gives the error of this this thread, when I try to enable the snapshots.

Best regards,

KOR!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  5. aladdin

The two most recent images are from ShadowProtect and EASEUS Todo Workstation. However, all the above images are less than one month old.

1. Do I need to use some software to wipe the "Vibrant" system partition first?

2. Can I use one of the above images to restore without wiping the "Vibrant" system partition first?

3. How else can I check the error given by EASEUS Todo Workstation is correct and that, "Reserved space before the first partition is less than 63 sectors"?

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. It could be a sofware bug in EASUES Todo Workstation, and I am worried for nothing?

I also own Keriver 1-Click Restore! And, have a image of it too, which is less than one month old!

6. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Ho Kor,
    Seems that you messed a bit,during the restore.
    All those images with the different programs have the SRP included or not?
    Have you made any other modifications on your other partitions?

Panagiotis

7. aladdin

Dear Panagiotis,

None of the images have SRP, however all the images have 100mb unallocaed space and three partitions. I have restored with the same image about five times.

On the last restore, I deleted all the partitions, thus the unallocated space was 1.5TB. Since my system partition was 100GB, therefore I picked the exact size partition and restored to it, leaving the rest of the space unallocated.

However, the recent images have MBR modified by the EASESU Todo Snapshots. And, the eariler ones might have Keriver 1-Click Restore. There might be some images which might not contain any modification to the MRB.

Best regards,

KOR!

8. markymoo

It clear you taken a image of c with unallocated SRP in front of it, followed by wiping the 2 partitions into 1. You then come to restore and it won't boot. Restoring the MBR should of recreated the partition structure. Because not, I think todo is reading a corrupted partition table not making sense of it hence the weird error. You have to specify extra option, for restore in image software that support it there's unallocated space in front.

If you have a image for IFW then restore c but tick update boot partition that should fix it. If not do it again and also select auto restore 1st track. Move data off other 2 partitions just in case if it important.

Question is there anything important on 2nd 3rd partition of system drive. If so it shouldn't be on same as system drive, increased risk.

9. pandlouk

Do you want to recover your deleted snapshots? If yes...
    One easy way is to use drive snapshot and select to
    a) restore the partition structure
    b) restore the disk signature
    c) restore your image in that partition.
    Then use your most recent image to restore again if you want the most updated system.

By the way what do you mean with "the computer has come to crawling halt"?
    It seams like an alignment problem and I trust only IFW or diskpart to fix it if you want to resize afterwards. Send a mail to terabyte support and will guide you through it.

Panagiotis

10. markymoo

All the boot files are on C so it will boot if aligned right. Tick update boot partition in IFW. Might need restore first track as well. No need to wipe it if you do that.

11. markymoo

Are there no options for this in all those other image softwares?? I not used them. You are old hats restoring Windows 7 compared to me.

Another possible way to recover, is wipe c to unallocated again. Create a unallocated first 100MB partition then restore image to 2nd unallocated space. Then boot the repair disk and let it sort the rest out.

12. aladdin

Dear Mark,

It boots. Please see image_01 in post number 4, which is taken after booting up. The image was restored from ShadowProtect.

Please see image_02 in post number 4, which is taken after booting, it is when I try to enable the snapshots technology in Todo, I get the error of 63 sectors. I have written to Todo and they replied as such:

"Actually, when you do the snapshot, the reserved sectors of the first partition must equal to or greater than 63 sectors. In your case, we think the sectors on each track of the hard disk are not 63, so it causes the problem."

I don't have any data on the entire disk and I can delete all the partitions if need be before restoring the image. I have already done this twice. I have about 12 images from different 12 programs, and the most current ones are from ShadowProtect and Todo.

I would rather restore from these two programs, but I am willing to use other images too, if need be.

Best regards,

KOR!

13. aladdin

Here is how the iamge of ShadowProtect looks like:

Attached Files:

14. aladdin

Dear Panagiotis,

I will try the above.

1. Is there a way to format the entire disk in sub-console without the creating SRP, just one partition?

2. Then restore one of the images?

And, then I can create the other two partitions, without having the un-allocated 100mb partition.

No crawling halt, I was wrong. One of the attached USB hard disk was creating this problem.

Best regards,

KOR!

15. aladdin

Old hats!

LOL! You are talking to King of Format, who recently has started using imaging and trying to learn imaging.

Yes, I thought about it last nights while going to bed. If else fails than it is an option, though how undesirable.

Thank you my friend and best regards,

KOR!

16. markymoo

Initial reaction is, it not standard HDD format(63\512) but then other imaging software would of complained as well as todo. I wasn't aware it booted. I thought you was viewing from a recovery disk.

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi KOR

1) What version of Shadowprotect. Something I've done with SP version 4 or later is image the entire disk, getting all partitions. (only had C:, other was the 100MB)

Once done, delete all the other partitions using SP and right clicking on them. This should leave the drive unallocated.

Then right click on the unallocated space, and create the partition from the image using all the space, and then restore the c: image using mbr from image restore track 0 and disk signature.

SP restored it, and fixed the boot stuff automatically. If it doesn't there is a utility in the recovery enviroment that allows you to fix it manually, although when I did it, that wasn't necessary.

Pete

18. aladdin

Dear Pete,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have done the above about three times and I still get the same error.

The image was done after I test FD-ISR for Windows 7 x64, after modifying the bootsect for Vista x64.

I did email to EASEUS, and they asked me to downlaod their reporting software and then send them the report. This is what it shows about the system disk.

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. How to correct?

19. aladdin

Dear Mark,

It seems that your intial reaction is correct. The disk is reporting 19 sectors instead of the ususal 63.

How I got there, I am not sure!

How to correct this?

Best regards,

KOR!

20. aladdin

This is the response I got from EASEUS:

So I sent them an message that I don't understand what the above means. And, they replied as such:

21. aladdin

Dear Gurus,

Dear friends, Panagiotis, Mark and Pete, being a novice I don't know what the above means?

1. Should I leave the hard disk on 19 sectors or change it to 63?

2. If the answer is to change it to 63 sectors, than how to do with and still use one of the images to restore from?

3. If the answer is no, leave it as it is, than what problems can be foreseen that I am going to encounter in future?

4. I am leaning towards FD-ISR or Rollback Rx, so would the 19 sectors create any problems for me?

Best regards,

KOR!

22. pandlouk

Hi KOR,
    1. You should change it. Even if does not give problems for now you can encounter problems in the future, e.g if you repartition your disk,etc.
    2. IFW can handle it easily.
    Delete all the partitions and then use IFW to restore the image but uncheck the option "align at the end" in the geometry settings.
    3. see 1.
    4. FD-ISR will work fine but RBRx needs the sector 23 and 24 to operate properly.

Panagiotis

23. aladdin

Dear Panagiotis,

Thanks for your kind reply. I have a multiple choice question. My IFW image is almost a month old.

1. Should I take a new current image with IFW and restore this image?

2. Or, Restore the old image?

3. Or, take a new IFW image, first restore the old image, then restore the new image?

Many thanks for your kindness again!

Best regards,

KOR!

24. pandlouk

Make a new current image and use it to restore. No need to do it twice.

Panagiotis

25. aladdin

Many thanks!

It is mid-night here. Will give it a try first thing in the morning.

Best regards,

Mohamed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.