Need clarification

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by slomas, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slomas

slomas Registered Member

First off... I would like to apologize if I'm asking something that a search would pull up but I think my question is pretty unique in some ways.

Here is my setup for a test system.

I'm installing Acronis onto a system that will require multiple OS's for software testing purposes. This is what I have done so far.

My drive is a single drive with 2 partitions.

1. Install XP w/ updates and Acronis and create Full Backup.

2. Boot Vista and format drive with drive tool within install.

3. Complete Vista install w/ updates and install Acronis and create Full backup.

4 Repeat steps for both XP64 and Vista64.

Here are my questions.

What is the best way to restore from any given OS to another OS? I looked at the step by step guide and the versions are off so there is some confusion. Do I just select the partition the OS is installed on only or do I have to do both the MBR and OS Partition? Keep in mind we create our image on a separate partition.

There has been some uncertainty on how to perform these actions and I appreciate any help you guys can provide. Thanks again.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Can't help with most of your concerns, but I will suggest this. After you install Acronis for the first time, create the bootable True Image cd and use that for all future Backups, Restores, and Cloning.
    Unless you plan to do automatic scheduled backups, there is no need to run Acronis from the installed software. The bootable Cd will handle the basics.

3. slomas

slomas Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this wont due since this is used in a QA environment and would require boot disks for everyone. This is the main reason we moved away from Ghost.

4. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Ok, second try, why dont you activate Secure Zone, to enable F11 on bootup?

That way you boot with F11 and then restore any os you need.

You would need full disk i guess, MBR is not exactly the same between XP32 / 64 / Vista... would be too easy!!!!!

Good work,

Jaycee

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

What's the problem with making a bootable TI Cd for everyone?
    Another idea is to use mobile hard drive racks with one OS on each hard drive. You can then easily interchange the drives for whichever OS you need to test the software.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello slomas,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

As far as I understood you have installed each operating system over the previous one (to the same partition).

If this is the case then you should restore the image of the system partition along with MBR (Master Boot Record). Note that you can start the restoration under Windows or as was suggested using Acronis Startup Recovery Manage or Acronis True Image Bootable CD.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. slomas

slomas Registered Member

Aleksandr,

I have been using the method you have mentioned above with pretty good results thus far. However, with a group of HP systems we have, we keep getting the ntldr missing error. Any ideas what could cause this if we are restoring both the MBR and the Drive?

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello slomas,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that this issue (NTLDR is missing) could be caused by different reasons, i.e. BIOS didn’t look for the right drive, didn’t find the right partition (due to partition layout has been changed), it wasn’t active. You can have a look at this article to find more details on this issue.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.