Need clarification on differential backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Nikilet, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikilet

Nikilet Registered Member

I'm reposting this under it's own heading because I got no answer on this portion of my last post.

When I look under Archives in the program it shows the two full backups I did, and a file called Complex Archive. I assume that's the differentialo_O

But when I look in my external HD it shows only the 2 full backups -- and they show they were both modified on the date I did the differential. I see there was a place to merge the differential with the full backup, but I never selected that.

Can someone clarify this for me please?

2. Nikilet

Why can't I get an answer from someone on this differential backup business?

3. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I think what your seeing is correct. If you open one of those folders, don't you see another folder with the date that you did the differential?

I did do differentials before but not lately so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

4. Nikilet

Thank you Bill, for answering. I became impatient and removed those 2 full backups so I don't know if there was a folder inside or not. Maybe Paragon tech support will get back to me on this. I'm not impressed at all with their tech support and the reviews on it were what finally decided me for Paragon.

This program was supposed to be easy for an inexperienced user to understand and use, but either I'm dumber than most or that isn't the case. I wish I would have made a different choice now, but I purchased this so I'll try and muddle through.

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I believe Easter is a big official holiday period in Russia.

Support may take a liitle longer to get back to you as a result.

6. Nikilet

How long does their Easter celebration last? I posted on 4-25 and still no response.

7. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

I think they have a couple or three public holidays, mostly they take a couple of days annual leave with it - then if you include the weekends at each end - you get 10 days off, only having used used a couple of days annual leave.

I don't do differentials myself, but I think wptski is right.

I think ( from memory ) the differential will be added to the base backup folder by default - tho you can specify to store it somewhere else.

8. Nikilet

OK - thank you.

9. Nikilet

Would you believe ... still no answer from Paragon! At this point, all I can say is customer support is worthless!

10. Knot2Brite

Knot2Brite Registered Member

hello,

I don't know where you are physically but here in the US I have received superior service (on the free version) from paragon.

================================
    Matthew Spathes

Technical Services

Paragon Software Group
    15615 Alton Parkway, Suite 400
    Irvine, CA 92618

P: 949.825.6286
    F: 888.240.8993

Matt.Spathes@paragon-software.com
    http://www.paragon-software.com

===========================================

11. Nikilet

I am in the US. Maybe I'll have to go through you to get an answer because I bought the darned thing and I can't get an answer to save my soul! Quite upsetting!

Do you go through that process of opening a ticket ID, or are you just emailing?

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  12. ManyDrives

ManyDrives Registered Member

Hello Mathew,

I'd hate to think that you're getting the support because you work for Paragon, but I've been hearing troubling reports about poor customer support, contrary to what the reviews stated, which was a factor in my purchase of PB&R suite 10. I've been working with the software for over a month (can't return it now!), trying to get it to do what it claims to do and now I'm having a number of issues. I'm beginning to doubt my choice. This program should not be so difficult to work with, but there's no question that it's not geared toward the non-expert Paragon user. I build complex computer systems and servers and I'm having trouble getting PB&R to do some pretty basic, simple things, notably creating good incremental backups that do not simply make new, full backups (which this seems to do, no matter what I try.) Since my data occupies over 2tb when compressed in multiple backup locations, this represents the better part of a day to accomplish. For the first backup, I didn't mind, but for regular backups (daily or weekly), this is unacceptable. The help that comes with the software is virtually worthless - it's more of an instruction manual with seemingly no anticipation of variations in customers' experiences and needs. Shame on Paragon for falling short in this critical area!

Can you offer a better source of help? Is there a guru who can take a quick look and offer a clear solution? When I asked Paragon directly it took days to get a response and then it was in the form of a question.

Thanks!

13. Nikilet

Wow! This posting from ManyDrives is the first notification I have received of any posts or answers to this original post which I started. Been a while.

I thank ManyDrives for stating exactly what I have been trying to state over and over. I just started a new post about some help with using this program and got pretty much the same run-around I've always gotten. I've got to find something different, something where you can get some help if you need it. If anyone reading this knows of a program that fits the bill, please advise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.