Need cable modem advice

Discussion in 'hardware' started by jdd58, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I am possibly moving to a new house that will have cable internet available (no more need to rely on Verizon wireless).

Cox is the ISP. Any advice as to wheher I should go with a combo modem-router or modem with separate router(s). Don't know what Cox provides for brand. I thought I might go for Motorola from Newegg if compatible with their network.

I also have two light N routers with dd-wrt already.

2. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Just buy your own Motorola modem cause the ISP stuff is almost always junk. Then separate routers.

I went through two Time Warner modems that were several years older than what was currently available, and I hated them. One of them even made a annoying buzz. Then I had to play tech support phone redirect roulette for an hour to be told it could take up to a week for my new modem to be activated on their side. And then of course if you lose their modem, then you get to pay them. Just the sooner you get your own modem the better.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I have been leaning toward separate modem/router(s). Does anyone have experience using Cisco or Zoom modems specifically with Cox?

5. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

Motorola SB6141, if Cox compatible.

6. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

They upgrade the service from time to time, sometimes requiring a new modem to get the latest features (ie DOCSIS 2.0 vs. DOCSIS 3.0). That would put you in a tough spot if you really liked the router portion of a combo unit. My only Cox modem experience is with Motorola units - they both worked great with no issues. And the new one was noticeably faster.

7. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

The Motorola SB6141 was going to be my first choice. I've a few weeks till the move so I'll see if anyone else has something to add.

Thanks for the replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.