need backup help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nhamilton, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nhamilton

nhamilton Registered Member

I have some remote machines(kiosks) sitting in different offices. They are behind a router and are using NAT so they are not directly accessible. I have the machine able to poll a web server and see if there is any tasks they need to do. One of the things I would would to be able to to do is instruct them to download an image and restore the machine to this image. That way I could update software remotely.

I assume that if they were directly accessible then a cooperate version would be the way to go as I would have more control over how things work. At the moment I suspect I will have to write something that will let the machine be able to download the image and then restore it with no user interaction, similar to how a restore CD/DVD would work.

Has any one got any ideas where I should go to work out possible solutions, or what kind of license I would need for this?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Why not? I regularly access a machine behind a router that uses NAT with a free VNC program, UltraVNC. I do have access to the router and was able to assign the particular computer that I needed to access a static IP on the local network and to port forward the port that the UltraVNC server uses to that IP.

Now, I can access that remote computer and run it from my office.

Another, but not free approach, is GoToMyPC.com and LogMeIn.com.

With any of these, you could remotely download a file to the remote computer and start the TI restore program to restore the image. However, you might need to use a post restore command to reboot the system since you will lose control when the system is running in Linux to restsore the boot partition.

3. nhamilton

nhamilton Registered Member

the machines are on accounts with dynamic IP's, and I do not have access to the router :p

Thanks, i will have a better look at these options tomorrow

do you have any link to a Tutorial for this ?

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I was afraid you'd say that. That limits what you can use.

I think gotomypc and logmein can still work on these, but I'm not positive.
    Sorry, I don't.

5. BillyPig

BillyPig Registered Member

You might also consider Laplink Gold (with the Laplink/Internet service) as a means of overcoming your connectivity problems. Its a good tool and the support is second to none.

Pete K (alis BillyPig)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.