Need Backup and Restore Transfer Option HELP!!

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by my_figment, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my_figment

my_figment Registered Member

I am desperate for some immediate assistance. I have just installed a new hard drive in my dell inspiron laptop. It is the same make and model as the one replaced but it is 7200 rpm rather than 5400 and it is 750gb instead of 500gb.

I know migrating to new hardware is more complex than a straight across the board restore but this is my problem:

I tried a system restore from a backup image and got an io error about 2/3 of the way through. In my haste to make the change, I forgot to verify the integrity of the archive. I still have the original hard drive which is fully functioning as well as a copy of that drive on an external hd.

I have many programs on there that I can't afford to replace. My question is, if I do a data transfer after a clean install of windows 7 on the new drive, will all my files come over, apps included?

This would probably be the easiest solution if it'll work but I can't find any information on the transfer in the forums or the help documents.

If anyone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it as I can't afford to be without my computer long. I make a living with it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Desperate Figment

By the way, I'm using Paragon Backup and Recovery 10 Suite on a Windows 64 bit PC with Windows 7 on the old drive and a partially restored copy on the new drive. If anyone can tell me how to wipe the new one or finish that process that would be great too. Thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

File transfer wizard is not the tool you need.

In Backup & Recovery 10 there is Copy Hard Disk wizard which will move all your system, apps and setting to new hard drive.

If you can physically connect both your old drive and new drive to motherboard, connect them,

Then: boot to source (old) hard drive with your System and run Backup & Recovery Suite.

* in Wizards select Copy Hard Disk wizard
    * select your old drive as source
    * choose your new drive as destination
    * enable Resize proportionally and Remove free blocks options
    * finish the wizard
    * press Apply to perform changes.

Once copy completed, shut down your PC, remove old drive and boot from new one

3. my_figment

Thank you so much for your help. I hate to say it, though, but I'm stuck on the first step.

I have set up my old drive in a docking station and connected it via usb. But, for the life, of me I can't get it to boot from the old drive. Will this set up work? If so, can you tell me how I boot from the old drive?

Thanks again.

Frustrated Figment o_O

4. Mech_An

If you can't connect your old drive as internal device (not via USB), you should create WinPE or Linux-based Recovery CD of Paragon Backup & Recovery Suite.

Note: Windows can't boot from USB drive. It is physical restriction.

WinPE Recovery CD:
    * go to My Account - My downloads https://www.paragon-software.com/my-account/products/downloads.htm
    * find "Paragon Backup and Recovery 10 Suite - WinPE based Recovery CD Image"
    * click the link and save the *.exe file (it is self-burning WinPE CD image)
    * run saved *.exe file and follow the Unpack & Burn wizard to create the Recovery CD (or Recovery-flash)

Linux-based Recovery CD
    * run Backup & Recovery Suite
    * go to Tools - Recovery Media Builder
    * Select "Typical" image
    * select your CD\DVD or flash
    * select device
    * burn the Recovery CD

Once completed, connect your old drive via USB and do the following:
    * boot from Paragon Recovery CD (for Linux-based version you should select Normal mode in first menu)
    * run Backup & Recovery Suite
    * run Copy Hard Disk wizard
    * follow the wizard as I described before

Once completed, eject the CD and restart your PC.

5. wptski

wptski Registered Member

A RAW copy of my 750G HD took 12 hrs.

6. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

That is the about the expected time using USB 2.0. With USB 3.0, it would be about 4 hours. In these cases the difference is significant.

Raw copies are slow. But, AFAIK, they are only needed when copying partitions not recognized by the copy software (as some OEM recovery partitions), or when a "forensic copy" is required.

7. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Don't want to hijack this thread but I had a support ticket in about USB 2.0 speed vs USB 3.O speed using WinPE. Once we traded screen captures and screen pictures of transfer rates in HDM2011S. They were saying that my transfer speeds were correct but my USB 3.0 speed under Windows was faster than theirs. I never heard from Paragon again after that. Now they removed the window showing transfer rates from the latest HDM2011S build. I just gave up on a reason/solution for the speed issue.

8. my_figment

You are truly a genius and I can't thank you enough. I have just finished getting everything back up and running with a few snags here and there but, if it weren't for your kind assistance, I'd still be struggling with the software for another few days at least with trial and error.

Thanks again and God Bless!

Happy Figment :D

9. Mech_An

@my_figment

Thanks for your kind words! Glad to know everything worked ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.