Need AV - do I need a Firewall too - advice please.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bahjan, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bahjan

bahjan Registered Member

Hi,

I am new to this forum and of moderate experience. First I should say what's already on my computer security wise:

Running windows 98se ibm 600e laptop.(all updates installed) Attached to broadband router.

Installed :
    Lavasoft SE
    Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4
    A-squaredfree
    CWSshreader
    mublaster
    spywareblaster
    hijackthis

I am considering adding Winpatrol and upgrading to Lavasoft Pro.

I was running NIS 2003 - but having had another crash the security section would not reinstall properly error message
    Symantec ccap
    C/program~/norton/iamapp.dll missing error no 1002.1

(iampp.dll was present by the way) I tried the Symfix tool as recommended by Symantec help to no effect - complete clean with symantec tools and manually and reinstall did not fix the issue. I have become disillusioned with Norton which is now straining my system resources, as well as being inheriently slow, bloatware.

I have been looking at various security suites and AV standalones, and have become confused. I was going to try Kaspersky 6, but having read a member's issue with the personal details and difficulties to resolve concerns over privacy information I am seriously put off using them no matter how good the reviews.

I run fmail via OE which has basic virus/spamming scanning - do I need more?

Online, I am basically a careful surfer, I do not use download music sites or file sharing, what I basically want is a solid AV with personal security - while I do not bank on-line I do shop on line and credit anti theft is as important to me as AV.

One question, do I need an installed firewall? When I was running Norton I did get a few alerts while on-line regarding attempts to steal CC info (which I blocked) As I'm not made of money, would Zonealarm freebie protect me adequately as a second layer?

Interestingly, Kaspersky on line scanner found a file which Symantec had missed for years - a program I'd never installed. (phew! ) I sent it to Virustotal and they confirmed presance of Snadboy 2011 virus. On their list, only Kaspersky 4.0.2.24 bitdefender 7, Fortiinet 2.85, Ikarus T3 and McAfee 5030 actually found it. Nod32 v2 did not. I can submit a copy of the full report if you're interested.

I am now seriously considering bitdefender 10.- any thoughts greatfully recieved, Thanks.:)

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Welcome to the forum, I think you will find it a great resource of information, in response to the title of your thread and this line in your post...........
    I believe most routers nowadays contain a hardware firewall already which will take care of inbound threats, so really the adition of a software firewall will largely be with regard to controling outbound access of software on your computer.

3. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Lavasoft SE and Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4 are not needed. They are quite obsolete and you should not upgrade to lavasoft Pro. Norton Internet Security 2003 is bloatware and you should not use it. If you consider getting BitDefender, you better prepare to uninstall many things, as BitDefender conflicts with many other security apps. Even routers are not perfect so if you want to a software firewall you could.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@ bahjan

Hello !

I would strongly recommend you buy a new computer with newer operating system - either Windows XP or better Windows Vista . I am sure you'll feel the difference.

If you prefer to stay with the current Windows 98se , I recommend you :

- Check your router (NAT must be enabled , other security options , too)

- After configuring the router , test with http://www.pcflank.com/ (Steath test and Advanced port scanner test)

- Uninstall the following applications:
    Lavasoft SE
    A-squaredfree
    CWSshreader
    mublaster
    spywareblaster
    hijackthis

You don't need them !!! Keep only Spybot S&D , which I do think is very good AS application

- Run Symantec's Norton removal tool to remove all Norton IS tracks
    This tool is the right one

- After Norton is removed , immediately visit Microsoft's web-site and download/install Internet Explorer 6 SP1 here

- Start Spybot S&D , update it , see how here . After update , open Immunize section and immunize Internet Explorer . Do the immunize part after every Spybot S&D's update

- Download and install McAfee site advisor here

- Consider buying very good antivirus application . I strongly recommend you eset NOD32 .
    Local ESET representatives
    Why NOD32
    Why NOD32 part2

- Last but not least , be safe surfer !!! Practise safe hex ;)

5. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Why would you advise him to keep spybot? It is obsolete and offers poor protection. It takes forever for an update to be released and asquared crushes it easily.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I can only disagree .

7. tayres

tayres Guest

I used the BitDefender suite for a couple of months but finally stopped using it because of too many minor problems I had. It does have an excellent AV engine, one the best out there right now.

8. besafe

besafe Registered Member

First I would make sue your syetm is clean, then remove all traces of norton. I would also unisntall every security application you are using.

Turn on the windows FW.

Run Avira Antivir (free AV)

Get Spyware termintor and enable both HIPS and Active protection.

This isn't rock solid, but probably enough for the safe surfer.

9. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Nod32. Spywareblaster and Spybot Immunize section. IE6. Comodo firewall. On-demand scanner: Lavasoft SE. A-Squared free. CWS.

@besafe: 98SE doesn't have a firewall ;)

10. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Ooops, forgot that Windows 98 doesn't have a FW.

AV for 98...Either Avira Antivir or NOD32.

ST with hips enabled.

That would probably be the minimum you could "safely" get away with.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

12. tradetime

Personally,I would stop using IE since you can't upgrade to IE7 download Opera or Firefox and use whichever instead of IE, download Sandboxie and run whichever in the Sandbox.
    For AV
    Download AntiVir or my preference Avast! both free. If you want a simple,light firewall Sygate (free) can still be found.
    Nothing wrong with A squared it's on demand so no drag on ur resources.
    How much RAM is on that box?

13. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

SandboxIE does not support Windows 98 according to the website. Antivir will discontinue support for Windows 98 as of 6/30/07. Not sure if signature updates will stop or not.

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie

14. tradetime

DOH!!!!!!!!!
    Guesss that's the problem with staying with older OS, this will become a growing problem as time goes by

15. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That's the dilemma that I am facing with my 4 Windows 98 computers. Not worth upgrading and will use them until they crash or burn out. :cool:

16. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i agree,

obviously, ppl know which AV id recommend :)

but on the bitdefender side, great AV here, cant recommend it enough... engine is fantastic, and the heuristics are aswell, software has known to be a bit buggy in the past, but i believe these have been ironed out now, or at least most of.

bitdefender is very very cheap too,

id personally choose just the AV which is £20 for 2 years, and 2 pcs. o_O crazy.

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/comp.html

you dont need a firewall if your behind a router with one built in, however... if you want a software firewall, some outbound control ... then the choice is yours.

18. bahjan

bahjan Registered Member

QUOTE=ccsito]SandboxIE does not support Windows 98 according to the website. Antivir will discontinue support for Windows 98 as of 6/30/07. Not sure if signature updates will stop or not.

As far as I know win 98 users of Antivir will be able to download updates - but there will be no more updates to the programme after June '07 (this was on their website, took a bit to find. ) Thanks again for all your advice!

Humm I hear an upgrade calling.......

Bahjan

http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie[/QUOTE]

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  19. bahjan

bahjan Registered Member

Hi

I guess as I have a router FW - Zone alarm is more than I need for outbound monitoring? Is there anything out there that will just deal with outbounds? Sorry if it's a dumb question - or maybe it's a gap in the market. (If so, I can forward my address for the cheque:D !) Haven't found a link to- Sygate free have you got one by any chance?

Yes, I am certainly considering Firefox if I can use Sandboxie ......

Any difference between Avast and Antivir - I know the Antivir does not scan email any other major differences?

I suppose thinking about it, my major concern while on line CC security - I only ever use secure sites with upto date certificates - I suppose what's spooked me is are the occasions when NIS warned me of attempts to hack Credit details.(via their personal security sheild).... What I don't get is how could that have happened given my fully shielded router FW? Is it a wiget Norton runs occasionally to justiy it's existance? Or am I being cynical and/or ignorant of something??

By the way my Win98 has 64 ram at least
    Bahjan

20. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

AVG free will work on windows 98. Another option is f-prot however this is not free. For a free firewall you can try kerio 2.1.5.

21. tradetime

Sygate is still hosted here, I found it had less issues than ZA, but that may be just me.
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160

BTW I still run Sygate on my laptop and have seen no reason to change that setup yet.

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  22. tradetime

Wow, best keep the apps to a minimum then, I'd imagine NIS was a drag.
    Avast may run a little heavier on resources if you have all the protection enables, but if you don't p2p or pop mail or use outlook you can disable some of the shields. I prefer it to AntiVir, having tried both, but then there are many who feel the opposite, personal choice thing, I'd say they both great products.

23. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

24. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

+1

Huh? KIS 6.0 works in 98SE and is a solid security solution. A member issue is not a global issue. People have issues with every piece of software.

If you want a free solution I would go with AOL AVS & SAS. Get Sygate free from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3356

If you only have 64MB of memory I would recommend an addition 128 or 256 at a bare minimum since memory prices are extremely low.

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I go along with most of what has been said. I would not remove a-squared, and use it as an additional layer.

I would install Avast Home ( I think it will work with 98.) and with the router you should be in good shape. I would also install a free firewall, and in my view Kerio 2.1.5 is excellent. I am not sure where you would find it. however.

Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.