Need Advice

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MasterTB, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

After years of using ESS, and having a License (still valid) I'm forced to uninstall it due to problems handling files over the network see this: "http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=273119" and now I'm looking for a firewall that, like Eset's and formerly Sunbelt's can recognize between trusted and untrusted zones when creating rules, thus allowing me to give a game access to the lan and not the net (for example) and can also distinguish between connections (wifi's, lans, etc.)
    I'm running windows 7 x64 so the search will be difficult.

I have to say that I have already tried a lot of firewalls, including pctools and privatefirewall.

2. Ray The Jaws

Ray The Jaws Registered Member

There is some fire walls that you can set for game mode I believe.
    Just can't remember which right now but will check it out for you!!!!!!!!!!!
    Check the link below and read about fire walls!!!!!

http://www.gamespyarcade.com/software/support/firewalls.shtml

This may give some answers to your quetion.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  3. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2010
  4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I think your link is a little dated.

5. Leach

Leach Registered Member

Have you tried Win7 internal firewall? It's very easy to set private and public permissions for an app. You will get rid of any slow-downs while your security level is very good with 7 x64.

6. MasterTB

OK, first things first:

@guest:
    Zone alarm free does not support IPV6 so In my opinion is useless in the present and near future. I'm not going to pay for a firewall, and so any paid version is out and so is Outpost free -until it is updated- because it does not play nice with win7 (so I've heard) hence, it's useless too.
    I have tried Comodo in the past and I keep hating it. To much of a hassle to make it work right even with Defense+ disabled.
    I have a notebook that goes from network to network and other than the Windows Firewall and ESS (which even though it's problems could create profiles with rules for every kind of network) I have yet to find a firewall that can do that easily.

@Leach:
    I am using the windows firewall right now but you know it's limitations. No prompt for outbound so the only way to use it easy is to set it to allow and go about creating deny rules from time to time for those applications that you don't want connecting.

I don't care about leak tests or HIPS on the firewall, but I do want the ability to create rules for outbound as needed with a prompt for the firewall and not manually.

If there was a 64bits version of the Sunbelt firewall I would be using it right now.
    So If you know a firewall with that characteristics please let me know.

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Give malware defender a try - now free:)

It has "network protection"

8. timestand

timestand Former Poster

malware defender no 64-bit ok? It wont last.

9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

My bad - already slapped myself upside the head for ya ok! o_O

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't know much about the requirements, but I have been using Online Armor free with Avast Pro. It is one of the smoothest running firewall I have used.

OA has now introduced a 64 bit firewall, and as shown on another thread there is a terrific offer for it.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=274565

Matousec shows OA to be one of the top applications.
    If I should go to an AV plus a firewall, then OA is what I will use.

Regards,
    Jerry

11. MasterTB

I wanted to try online armor but: "Note: Product does not currently support the following operating systems:
    Windows XP 64, Windows Vista 64, Windows 7 64, Windows 98/Me" That is the free version. If you pay (which I may not) you can install on 64 bits systems with command line parameters but the support is limited at best.
    There is no official x64 release of Online Armor.

Sorry, you realize my quest is problematic to say the least...

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Yes, I was thinking that the paid version did support 64 bit, but am not sure if it is in its final form.
    As for me, I have enough trouble when things work right. I don't want to have to fine tune my applications.

I have no doubt that the paid, and probably the free version, will relatively soon support 64 bit, but that does not help if one has the need now.

Regards,
    Jerry

13. MasterTB

Updates: I read on the forums (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1692978&postcount=14) that the next version of ZA free will include things like IPV6 -which means Home Group support for win7-.
    Anyone knows a timetable for that? I would be willing to try it out.
    Same goes for outpost free, if it ever makes it to version 7.

14. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

Just make full use of your Windows 7 Firewall.
    It's enough (from what I've heard.) :doubt:

instead of getting yourself another software firewall, spend that extra resources for something that would complement Win7's firewall and/or your current security setup.

15. MasterTB

Don't worry, I am using the windows firewall. I just like something that will allow me to be blocked all the time and allow communications only as needed and for that, you need outbound control with pop ups.
    As for the ZA free with IPV6, a forum moderator at ZA told me that there will be a new release in one or two weeks that will implement it so it is just a matter of time.

On the dark side, Sunbelt software will probably not release a standalone firewall any more, and the current will not make it to 64 bits. Too bad that kerio sold it on the first place. Seems that sunbelt finally did what we all critizise from Symantec: they bought a good product and killed it.

16. fax

fax Registered Member

ZA never publish release dates (for obvious reasons), it could be in the next two weeks. But dates can change anytime :)

17. MasterTB

I know but for me it meas that if I feel the need to replace the windows firewall I can use the free trial of ZApro and by the time the trial is over there could be a free version of ZA with IPV6, in the mean time, I'm not without a firewall.

fax, are you the same on the ZA forums? Seen good advices from you there!
    It was the Forum-Moderator at ZA that told me the 1 or 2 weeks time, so maybe they'll make it happen, fingers crossed here.

18. fax

fax Registered Member

I see, indeed a good strategy. Yes, the same Fax, THANK YOU for the kind words. I do my best... not always appreciated :D

Yes, hopefully it will be in two weeks. However, dates changes quite often due to unexpected problems or issues so don't rely on those too much ;) . Well sometime is also the reverse, two weeks can become two days.

Enjoy the day or night!

Cheers,
    Fax

19. MasterTB

fax: I forgot to ask.. where do I download the latest zone alarm pro?
    When I go to the ZA web I don't get 9.1.603 but 507 and that version is causing me problems with MSE... can you guide me?

Thanks!

20. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!

MSE/ZA conflict can be fixed by actually applying two MS HOTFIX, there is a bug in their firewall API. These patches can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979278
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976759

Note that these patches will install correctly and work only if you fully remove ZA before installing them.

Latest version of ZA software can be found here:

http://www.zonealarm.com/zaxsdownload/ (ZA Extreme)
    http://www.zonealarm.com/zasuitedownload/ (ZA Suite)
    http://www.zonealarm.com/zapdownload/ (ZAPRO)
    http://www.zonealarm.com/zaavdownload/ (ZA AV)
    http://www.zonealarm.com/zadownload/ (free)

If you still get the old download try to clean your browser cache.
    If you want older versions just change the number in the hyperlink...

I would warmly recommend to install the latest ZAPRO 9.1.603 to avoid the eccessive HD access bug in 507.

21. MasterTB

Disappointing news:

Like I said I would, and thanks to fax for the links I tried ZA Pro.
    Guess what? I set my pc on the dmz of the router to check for stealth status on the firewall... A LOT OF RED DOTS ON SHIELDS UP.

ZA still carries the tradition of setting a lot of programs with internet server privileges.. that is NOT a good policy.

Of course, after setting them all to ask, everything was fine.

The problem is that even the windows firewall, without any configuration, can achieve stealth even with programs allowed to act as servers on the internet!!!!

There is something seriously wrong with ZA and for that matter also with privatefirewall which also did the same thing.

Too bad my firends. too bad.

22. fax

fax Registered Member

LOL, looks like you discovered the hot water.... :D

ZA automatically configures programs to maximize usability, compatibility and security. This is normal and by design.

Although many software installed, especially OS files, will work generally fine even if limited, as soon as you block their actions you can inhibit a certain function that may remotely be used by a certain software in a certain moment.

For experienced user is not a problem but for novice users it will be difficult to troubleshoot why a certain software is sluggish while playing a video or similar cases and will end up point the finger to the c*** ZA instead of thinking that wmi may need the generic host server rights to the internet (hypothetical example). :)

23. MasterTB

I know what you mean about problematic software -Windows?? anyone- :)_ the problem is that I remember using Zone Alarm free a long time ago and I never saw the need to restrict server permissions, in fact I can't remember ever doing that.

Even if a program is listening for connections.. shouldn't ZA block -stealth- ports an reject unsolicited connections?

I mean, I SAW RED DOTS ON GRC and that means open ports, not closed (blue) or stealth (green) and that usually means that the firewall is not masking the listening ports an rejecting unsolicited traffic.

Or am I missing something? I know I'm not an expert but I'm not a novice user either...

Thanks.

24. fax

fax Registered Member

Yeap... the good old days of XP... new OSs have different architecture and needs as well as ZA.

No you don't miss something, typically 135, 80 or very high closed ports in windows7. I see this in mine. If you are not happy simply tune up the programs in ZA program control this will make you stealth. Windows 7 is a new "beast" with high requirements in terms of communication.

Cheers,
    Fax

25. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

What about Kaspersky Internet Security 2011?

Thanks,

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.