Need Advice with MRU please

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by masterwriter, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masterwriter

masterwriter Guest

I have downloaded MRU Blaster but need advice before I install as I lost important data with a diffeernt program

Is MRUblaster necessary on a computer used only by one person and will it delete useful data that are in history folder or other usage tracks?.

Sometimes a drop down menu is handy when searching or composing email. Will I have a choice as to what it deletes or will it all automatically?

Finally, will any of the following delete files I need.?. Copied from your site for convenience

"MRU-Blaster integrated plug-ins provide support for additional on-disk cleaning tasks! Included are:
    -CookieBlaster (clean cookies except those you add to an exclude list)
    -IE Temporary Internet Files Cleaner
    With even more in development! All plug-ins provide secure file deletion, and both of the above plug-ins also clean the associated index.dat files that are locked during normal Windows usage (with secure file wiping). Enhance the protection of your privacy! "

Thanks for your reply re SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Since you seem concerned about losing your History, I assume you might not want the login info for sites you browse (stored in Cookies) to be lost either.

So I'd recommend you simply do not enable either the Cookie Blaster plugin or the Temporary Internet File Cleaner plugin (both are disabled by default, so you shouldn't need to do anything).

As far as the other usage tracks go: You can disable scanning for most of the big ones in the "Settings" area of the program. I'd recommend you give it a quick look-through before cleaning the first time. (You may want to disable, or uncheck, the "Windows 'Recent' Folder" item and the "Internet Explorer Typed URLs" item.)

Is it necessary? If you value the drop-down or "recently used" menus in programs, you may not want to use it. But in any case you can give it a try, and instead of pressing "Clean Now" after a scan, press the "Show Results" button to view an expanded listing of found items.

I hope this helps - if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. :)

-Javacool

3. masterwriter

masterwriter Guest

Yes I would be happy to try it I understand from your reply that I would be notified before any deletions? am I right? Thanks

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

MRU-Blaster will simply scan - then you have two choices: to "Clean Now" (which doesn't take you to a results screen - you'll only see the number of detected items) or to "Show Results" (which shows everything it's detected, and gives you the opportunity to selectively uncheck items). :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. DMo224

DMo224 Registered Member

I'm still learning how to use it, too. Thanks for the info. It does a great job of keeping that stuff clear.

Question:

Since using it, I now have an empty area in Windows when I press start and the menu pops up. Is there anyway that I can use that area for the programs that I use all the time? That would be extending the top section down to the bottom and not having the white, empty place.

I hope that made sense.

6. boabness

boabness Guest

yes m8 you can pin things there when you click your start buttun then when you go in to all programs right click the program short cut and you will get a menu click the pin to start menu is this what your wanting :p

7. boabness

boabness Guest

and if you right click your start button then pick properties then click customize click the number of programs to 0 and do whatever else you want in hear
    *puppy*

8. DMo224

DMo224 Registered Member

That helped. When I click the start button, it made the space of most recently used programs a lot smaller, but didn't get rid of all of it. I'll keep playing with that part and see if I can't get rid of the extra space.

Thanks! :D

9. boabness

boabness Guest

did you not read my post b4 tthat one hear it is again

yes m8 you can pin things there when you click your start button go in to all programs. right click the program short cut and you will get a menu. click the (pin to start menu) is this what your wanting

10. DMo224

DMo224 Registered Member

Yes, I read it and I probably should have said I did. Sorry about that.

I knew how to get the programs that I use alot "pinned" onto the top portion. I don't know how to use the entire left side of that menu to get rid of the bottom white area. Please see my screen capture. I might be calling it the wrong name. It's the large white area on the bottom left that I would llike to use.

Attached Files:

11. DMo224

DMo224 Registered Member

Okay, the [glow=red,2,300]light[/glow] came on.............finally.

Please excuse my denseness, but after the screenshot, I added a couple of more programs to the left. The size of that white space decreased.

[move]Can I say, "Duh!"? :oops: [/move]

I realize now that the white space was maintained by the menu on the right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.