Need advice which Internet Security to buy to replace PC Tools

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bunnyc, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bunnyc

bunnyc Registered Member

I've been using PC Tools Internet Security for around 4 years and it's been brilliant. Never a problem, unlike Norton which allowed viruses in and I had to have my pc formatted 3 or 4 times. As you no doubt all know, Norton took over PC Tools and have closed them down.....my sub ends on 6th August so I still have a little while to buy an alternative. Any former PC Tools users on here who can advise me of an alternative similarly good program as a replacement please? I've done some research but am more confused than ever as many claim that PC Tools was inferior, which wasn't the case for me. The main contenders seem to be Vipre, BitDefender, Norton, Kapersky......but they all have pros and cons from what I've seen. Your help would be much appreciated by this senior cit who isn't all that pc literate, lol.

2. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

If you are looking for top of the line paid protection (my opinion), I would go with Emsisoft Internet Security Pack.
    You will receive Emsisoft Anti-malware which includes the Mamutu behavior blocker module and Emsisoft Online Armor Firewall.

-http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/internetsecurity/
    ____

You should also look into avast! Internet Security. Or, avast's free antivirus combined with a free firewall such as Online Armor Free, Windows Firewall, or Private Firewall.

-http://www.avast.com/en-us/index
    ____

Before purchasing, I would install a trial version of each one you are interested in (only one at a time) to make sure it is what you want and runs good on your computer.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  3. bunnyc

bunnyc Registered Member

Thanks Charyb......I'll check those out. Any other former PC Tools users who have found something equally as good?

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Bitdefender is pretty good these days. The newest 2014 version is running rather well. You can also get a good deal on the 2013 version and update it.

5. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Kaspersky Internet Security is a nice suite also.

Any Security program recommended here is likely to be sufficient. Your decision may be based on what kind of special deals are avaiable when you buy. Special Good Deals are often posted on this thread.

Forum rules forbid comparative statements claiming one product is better than another. All 3 programs cited here are excellent,although many would argue that one of them is the best.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  6. hawki

hawki Registered Member

7. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! bunnyc...I would highly recommend either Eset or Webroot Secure Anywhere...I ironically currently run both on my system...both being remarkably light on system resources...and most importantly effective in the prevention and cleaning up after exposure too malware. As everybody will recommend...try them both on a thirty day trial basis. In my case I use Eset S.S.6 Security Suite...and Webroot compliments Eset nicely...no Confliction between the two. Sincerely...Securon

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I like & would recommend trialing my setup. Emsisoft Anti-Malware + Emsisoft Online Armor Free.

9. c2d

c2d Registered Member

You will not find any perfect answer as every user have their own choice.
    The best way to judge a product is to install 30 trial,use yourself and make conclusion.

10. bunnyc

bunnyc Registered Member

Thanks guys!! Your replies give me some ideas to chase up.

11. bunnyc

bunnyc Registered Member

Hawki, thank you for the link. It's strange how different magazines have such opposing reviews. I was thinking of Vipre, which was rated #1 by another PC mag. review, but this one didn't rate it very highly at all. No wonder I'm confused, lol

12. blasev

blasev Registered Member

use 30 days trial for every reputable internet security out there.
    and you get 1 year of free protection :D

13. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

If you seek for simplicity you can start from Defensewall (if Win 32 bit) and/or Quihoo or Avast free/paid.

14. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Checkpoint's combo Zone Alarm Anti-Virus/Firewall suite gives more than sufficient protection for home users. It has a behavior blocker module built in and it has the highly regarded Kaspersky AV engine. And you can't argue for the price - its FREE! :thumb:

15. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

You may want to give a try to forticlient too.

16. guest

guest Guest

These posters deserve an award for their answers. :D Other than EIS, Comodo's Internet Security also pretty nice although it's a little tricky to set up. The AV was kinda buggy last time I tried it though.

And of course, we always have cherry picking if you want the best of bests collective security suite if you have time to do some experiments. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.