Need advice - Terabyte BING/IFD

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by tepe2, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hmm. I didn't realize the Shadow Protect manual was 100 pages. Might be cause I've never read it. For the most part it is pretty intuitive. Only one or two places that it could use a little help. But compared to IFD it is very easy.

Pete

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I've seen the manual. It's not 100 pages of usefull info and it has alot of pictures too.
    ShadowProtect looks like ATI, same userfriendliness, clear menus and guided by wizards. What more do you need ? $70.
    Of course, the programming is most probably better than ATI, I can't backup 19gb in 5 minutes like Peter.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would say the shadow protect desktop interface is easier to use.
    the main options are backup and restore on the main menu.
    on the side menu it has the mount image button.
    the interface from booting from cd is just a different colour.
    you shouldnt need to use the manual to use the product
    lodore

4. Peter2150

I totally agree, which is probably why I've never read it.

Pete

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

A little secret... I glanced at it but didn't actually read the SP manual either... :D

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I can't say anything about that, until I used it myself.
    The only thing I know for sure, is that BING/IFW/IFD was much more difficult to use. Keep in mind that this was my very first contact with Image Backup softwares, I never used them before.
    After all Image Backup shouldn't be difficult unless the developpers make it difficult like in BING/IFD/IFW. :)

7. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I downloaded the trial. Burned DVD, but also installed BING to my hd successfully.

Worked with partitions. (Resized, deleted, wiped, renamed...) I can tell you this is a great partition tool.

I backed up the EMBR.

Created image of C-partition. 5,3 GB. About 4 min 55 sec + validating byte for byte about 3 min 16 sec. Total 8 min 11 sec.

Size of the image-file: 3,45 GB

Restored image. First another validate about 1 min 30 sec. Total time validating and restore....dont know excactly because I left computer for a minute, but when I came back the restore was completed successfully, and the time was then about 4 minutes and a few seconds. So let's say total time 4 minutes or less.

I can understand why some find BING not very userfriendly, but I had no problems. I watched the videos several times, and read the manual (not all because there's some stuff I will never need). I was a bit nervous before I started, but everything worked.

Just thaught I should let you know.

I will stay with BING. Only BING, because I dont think I need IFD.

Thanks

8. Peter2150

Thats the smart way. Test, retest, and then you can be confident of the tool you have chosen.

Pete

9. egghead

egghead Registered Member

So you partition with BING and image with SP without problems.

Did you also other trics with BING like resizing a partition etc. and after this you used SP for imageing ? No problems?

cheers.

10. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Not important, but I forgot to mention that I backed up to the internal hd.

BING cant see my ext hd when connected with Firewire, only when connected with USB. But dont think this is related to BING, as I know it works with both FW and USB.

BIOS ? Cant find anything there.

And why does Windows see my ext hd (WD MyBook) when connected to the FW at the back of the pc, but not when connected in front?

11. egghead

egghead Registered Member

second validating (of the image) byte per byte in not necessary because you already did this when making the image.

This makes BING even faster ;) :D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  12. Peter2150

Not unusual. Depends on how the different FW's and USB's are connected to the mother board.

13. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Stupid me. The solution was so easy. I just had to check a box in the "Settings", and now everything is fine. BING now can see my ext MyBook hd also when connected with IEEE1394 FW.

14. Peter2150

Don't feel bad. We all get hit by the chair keyboard interface.:D

Pete

15. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Go for it Tepe2
    I saw this thread and tied hard not to stick my oar in , but cant resist LOL

The terabyte utilities are still imho some of the greatest software I have ever seen. For all the same reasons still. :D
    Welcome to the fold.

However: i DID have to read the manual :D ( and watch the videos )

I am waiting for V3 SP and the mystical magic genie of "Hardware independent Restore" which I have reason to believe on good authority may be the game breaker.

I'll still keep TUs just in case. ;)

Regards. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  16. Peter2150

Hi LB

HIR indeed works. I have tested it, and it is indeed almost magic. But remember, it's objective is to get you booted into windows, and leave you with a functioning machine. That doesn't mean everything runs perfectly. You still will most lilkely have to install drivers for anything which has unique drivers. I think you have to weigh the reason for using it, which would be to save time deploying something, vs the time to tweak each machine.

One of these days when I have nothing else to do I want to play with it in conjunction with driver genie, which supposedly will get all the drivers off your system, and put them into one installer to reinstall.

Pete

17. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

LOL, I dont even know how you do it all already :eek:

18. Peter2150

It's a hobby. Actually as I type I am running under Vista, but that will end shortly thanks to the "Shadow"

19. charincol

charincol Registered Member

Been testing Vista myself to know how it works. IFD is allowing me to "switch" between XP and Vista on my C partition within minutes with no problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.