Need Advice on creating backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jtmedin, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtmedin

jtmedin Registered Member

Wonder how you do your backups so that the archive doesnt get overrun with files. How does acronis 11 handle restores? I seem to be missing how this restore works & what backup files are needed. How do you do it? What am i missing? TIA

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  3. jtmedin

Ok GH that was good info. However, i may have missed what happens when one has the same full & incremental running continuously(weekly ...). Do the file names keep incrementing or do/can they overwrite? TIA

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jtmedin,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Using Acronis True Image 11 Home you can set schedule task to create backup archives to Backup Location. When Backup Location is created you will be eligible for backup policy. Click Operation -> Schedule Task -> Select Backup Type -> In Backup Archive Location completely unfold Backup Location folder and choose previously created backup location (in folder line you will see “No file name is required in this area”), click next and you will see backup policy window. You can determine how many backup archives to store.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

5. jtmedin

Using Acronis True Image 11 Home you can set schedule task to create backup archives to Backup Location. When Backup Location is created you will be eligible for backup policy. Click Operation -> Schedule Task -> Select Backup Type -> In Backup Archive Location completely unfold Backup Location folder and choose previously created backup location (in folder line you will see “No file name is required in this area”), click next and you will see backup policy window. You can determine how many backup archives to store.

I have scheduled tasks for backups to a external usb drive & a network hard drive. I am unable to follow the above. HELP

Sorry it took so long to get back to you I have been busy but now am getting back to this problem. What i want to do is set a count of incremental backups in the backup archive. When a new incremental backup starts & finds the count exceeded it will delete the oldest incremental. That way when a restore is required only the latest backups are available.

6. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

That's the downside to doing incrementals. Each incremental depends on ALL the previous ones during the restore process - so you cannot delete any in the "chain" of incrementals. You might want to look into differentials.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

jtmedin,

If you want to use the Backup Location feature, please note that quotas always exceed when Backup Location is on a network share or a network drive. This is a known issue. You should use internal or external hard drives for these purposes.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.