Need Administrator Priveledges ???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Sep 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I keep getting a pop-up that I need administrator privileges whenever I try to remove a program. But I am the only user of this computer and under task manager it shows I am logged on as "owner" with my status as active. Is there something I should check to see what is going on?

thanks

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Not sure if this will help or not, you might try uninstalling it in safe mode. My normal routine that I'm getting into is going into safe mode, making sure all processes of the program are stopped then uninstall the program. After that, I do a cleanup. I'm using XP home.

innerpeace

3. acr1965

Very weird but I just installed Ewido and it does not show up in the add/remove programs. This along with the other issues. Maybe my computer is going nuts.

4. innerpeace

Does it have an uninstall Ewido option in the start menu or is that what you tried? I tried the new AVG AS and received an error on installing and the process was using a lot of cpu. I tried to uninstall it normally and that didn't work. I had to go into safe mode and kill it's process with IceSword and then uninstall it. It was a heck of a battle Lol.

5. acr1965

Re: Need Administrator Privileges o_O

Ewido does not have an add/remove in my start menu. But, at this point, I don't think it would matter if it did. My computer keeps telling me I do not have administrator rights even though I am logged in as the owner and the only other account is from .net passport. I cannot add or remove any program or change any settings without getting the "need admin privileges" message.

6. innerpeace

Yikes! This is getting way over my head. I'm not sure what OS your using, if it's Vista, I have no idea what to tell you. The only other thing that I can think of is when booting into safe mode in XP, it's gives me the option to log in as admin or owner (which is an admin account too). You might try that, but it sounds like something else is going on.

7. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Hi

Just a thought but have you tried creating another account with admin privileges

8. acr1965

I have tried but I get a "permission denied" message. I also booted in safe mode and did a system restore with no good results.

9. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

10. acr1965

I was finally able to get back my admin privileges. I had to start in safe mode and go to the control panel/admin tools and set pretty much everything that was manual to auto. Then did a system restore- log out and back in. Back to admin. I think I may get another computer soon as this one is having issue after issue now but has probably 7,000 internet surfing hours. I assume there is some sort of mileage where these things start to fall apart?

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That is less than 1 years of online time. There is no time limit as to how long you can use a PC or surf the net. While hardware parts do eventually need replacement, your problem appears to be software related (not unless the hardware that supports the software is losing the information). Information contained in system files can become corrupted over repeated readings by the drive arm.

12. n2bhelped

n2bhelped Registered Member

So did that fix everythinig? I can not log on to my administrator in safe mode.

13. acr1965

It seemed to work. But my computer was still having issues from a previous BSOD. It seemed fairly unstable on the internet. I am on another computer now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.