Need ability to permanently disable firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Vliscony, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vliscony

Vliscony Registered Member

The firewall causes a hard crash with one particular email server (outbound), and the only thing that works is disabling it, but I can only do that "temporarily" I need to be able to do this permanently.

Writing a rule to allow all, which should have worked, did not solve the problem, it still crashes the PC (WinXP/PRO SP2), at the moment I hit send on those accounts, using either Outlook 2007 or Thunderbird, I get the same result.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Unfortunately, this is not possible as the firewall is tightly integrated with ESS (like IE with Windows). Do you use antispam that you cannot afford installing EAV instead?

3. Sunfox

Sunfox Registered Member

That really doesn't make sense to me... if it can be disabled temporarily, then it can be disabled perminantly.

With that said, Eset has some pretty tricky marketing of Smart Security and NOD32. I ended up with something of a virus emergency last week, and after reformatting and battling with the bloatware that was Norton I decided to instead try what was highly rated... namely NOD32. And look - a fancy version of NOD32 with all sorts of extras. I don't actually need the firewall, but the Spyware protection and anti-spam would be useful. Buy one copy now, and if it's good I'll buy a further 3-user licence for my other PCs.

But then I discover I can't disable the firewall, and quite honestly I see a very noticable difference in browsing speed with the firewall enabled or disabled. (I'm protected by an enterprise grade hardware firewall - I know it won't stop stuff that's already in from getting out, but my goal is to stop it from getting in! :)

So I see recommendations in here that if I don't want the firewall I should only be running NOD32.

But then I'd lose anti-spam and anti-spyware. Oh wait, spam protection for OE removes details on which account a message came from, which messes me up more than spam does, and then I learn that NOD32 has just as much spyware protection as Smart Security does. But go to the two product details page and guess which is the only one with the word "spyware" on it.

Sigh. Well, that's $31 more I didn't actually need to spend now that I can only use NOD32 anyways. I'm quite happy with NOD32 right now, but now I'm less inclined to upgrade from AVG to NOD32 on those other PCs.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi Sunfox,
    if you don't necessarily need the firewall and purchased ESS just because of the spyware detection capabilities mentioned on the product info page, there should be no problem refunding you the price difference between ESS and EAV. Please contact the distributor/reseller you purchased ESS through and request a refund. I have also notified my colleagues from US to make the descriptions consistent.

5. Sunfox

Sunfox Registered Member

Thanks for the response - re-reading my message I think I came off a bit more "upset" than I actually am.

I actually purchased online direct from Eset, and I see now that I probably should have just taken advantage of the free trial - but in all honesty I was in something of a rush after the trouble I experienced earlier and just wanted something good, _now_. Even the email about login information taking up to 12 hours to send concerned me - although it really took only minutes.

With that said - do you know if there are any significant changes to the way Smart Security operates in the works? Although since I now learn I really have no use for the extra features, perhaps I should just downgrade and put that towards a few more NOD32 licenses... I'm actually quite happy with the antivirus side, and I love the almost constant definition updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.