need a vista firewall!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by joeunc, Mar 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeunc

joeunc Registered Member

Have searched the forums and I still need a firewall that is compatible
    with Vista Ultimate. I was going to try Comodo,,bu not ok with Vista on the install.
    I have a router and Kasperky AV running,,,I want a good firewall that I can install ASAP with VISAT,,please help and all replys are greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Joe

2. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

4. joeunc

joeunc Registered Member

thanks for the list,,,I checked it out..I have the free PC tools Firewall PLus installed now. I wanted to try Comodo but it doesn't seem to be Vista ready yet.

I have never been the suite type, and try to mix up my protections

Like I said earlier,,running Kaspersky AV and Superantispyware Pro with the newly added PC Tools Firewall Plus (which I know nothing about yet)

All this is behind a router,,I used to run Zone Alarm Pro for years and didn't mind it ,but since they were bought by Checkpoint I have not heard the best things.
    My logs in ZA in the past were very, very clean behind the router. I just want somethint that is light, works, and has good outbound protection.

Thanks again for the link and I will look into it and wait for others to get Vista ready.

Anything els anyone can add would also be appreciated.

thanks
    Joe

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Jetico currently has their v2 beta which is Vista compatible.

6. joeunc

joeunc Registered Member

so far pc tools fiewall plus has been ok,it comes with a preset rule set that is pretty good..The only thing I see in the log

is my router (192.168.1.1) getting blocked UDP on source and dest port 1900 in Internet Zone,,,that is always going on,,on the UPNP port it appears..

Guess it came be normal,,but if not ,,let me know how to get this to cease

thx
    Joe

7. guysmilie

guysmilie Registered Member

I was under the impression that the new Windows FW in Vista had several improvements making it comparable to commercial SW firewalls?

Is there any truth to this? Or is it just the same thing, allowing all outbound traffic.

Guy.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the Vista firewall does have outbound filtering though disabled by default.

Also there are things that 3rd party firewalls may do better (or easier) like logging, stopping leaktests, or restricting apps to certain ports/ip. it could be faster at processing packets or maybe its gives you lower pings in online games.

9. ronnycopeh

ronnycopeh Registered Member

I am also using PC Tools firewall plus and found it to be real good. similair to zone alarm. I was using Outpost, my choice as the best but since getting this new computer with windows vista I had to search for software that was compatible. I was able to still use Nod32. If anyone know of any others that have a light footprint please tell us.

10. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I had a few bluescreens with PC Tools so I had to ditch it. The interface was kind of slow and flakey too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.