need a seperate process guard with Outpost?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rothko, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rothko

rothko Registered Member

hi, just wondering - i have outpost firewall (2.7) that includes a process memory control and seems to work well.

with this feature in the firewall, is there any need for me to use a seperate app like Process Guard? isnt Outpost doing what the free version of Process Guard would do? though i suspect the paid version of Process Guard has more features that are worth the extra money

thanks, lee

-i cant decide where to post this, so if it needs moving to process guard forum, please do -

2. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

Hi.

I would say U would still need PG as Outpost has no protection at all to stop it being stopped (yes U can password it but thats just to enter the options.

One example of how easy it is to kill outpost is this, i have a benq network card, i have a app from their site that checks for net card on a pc, i ran it, outpost popped up a rules wizard prompt & then promptly died, i checked the service & it wasnt running & the gui had vanished, that was with PG protecting it.

Normally i have no probs & PG stops it being shut down but if outpost crashes like it did with me (it even corrupted me cfg) then nothing will stop it from failing

Antivirus apps have protection against termination but agnitum seems to think that firewalls dont need it.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Process Guard free or full is well worth using since, in addition to termination protection, it can block code/DLL injection into any protected process - Outpost only covers those which have network access.

As for adding termination protection to Outpost itself, this has been pretty well discussed in the Outpost forum Security issues with Outpost 2.6 and Please install process killing prevention threads.

Oddbod, if your crash occurs with the current version of Outpost Pro (2.7) then please report it to Agnitum if you have not already done so.

4. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

Sorry Paranoid2k, it was with the last version of 2.6 i had that crash, just did a clean install today with the newer 2.7 build (that fixes the install probs)

I am curious as to why OP died like that service & GUI, the benq tool was asking for a rule for 255.255.255.255, when i created the rule OP just vanished

@Lee, PG as P2K says is still very worthy app, it can stop most things from terminating OP, not when OP crashes tho

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.