Need A Good Uninstaller

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LoneWolf, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Tried Snagit and after the trial I tried FastStone whick works for what I need it for and it's free to boot.Now the problem Snagit does not come with an uninstaller and add/remove programs in windows hangs trying to uninstall.I downloaded Total Uninstaller but it will not uninstall any programs on your pc that were there before Total Uninstaller.Tried Your Uninstaller a while back and did not really like that one for some reason.Is there any other good ones out there free or paid that will uninstall any program reguardless of how long the program has been there?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

3. LoneWolf

I like the protection feature in smarty uninstaller but i'd really like to have an uninstaller with password protection also.Just to be sure that things did not get uninstalled by mistake.The wife uses the pc too.(Sometimes she's clickhappy)

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

FDISR!!
    Total uninstall
    There is a free one like Total uninstall, don,t remember the name, wait until somebody reminds us.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

ZSoft Uninstaller is quite good. But regarding your wishes, i don't think it's that good. It will detect and ask if you want to delete the folder of the program, but nothing more (unless i have an outdated version).
    Besides this, it can monitor installs, to uninstall completly, but this is not what you ask.

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Aigle, yeah for sure FDISR is the best uninstaller, that's what I am using too.But he is looking for something that will remove a program that "is already" on his computer.;) FDISR cannot do that...

7. LoneWolf

I have Rollback Rx but the problem is I updated form v7 to v8 while trialing SnagIt and lost all my snapshots with the uninstall of v7. I thought I remembered about an uninstaller w/password protection that could uninstall any and all programs reguardless when they were installed but I can not recall what the name of it is.When I say any and all programs I do mean excluding important OS programs. Anyone have any suggestions please. Been searching the net and coming up empty.

8. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello... :)

I don't see how an uninstaller would know how to remove software already installed. There are files in program files folder, maybe in common files also, under user profile, entries in registry, and whatnot. But I am curious as to why add/remove freezes in windows. Have you tried installing the software again? Start the installation, maybe it has uninstall/repair option. If not, install it over and try add/remove... :doubt: Well, I'm just reasoning...

9. LoneWolf

Trialing Ashampoo Uninstaller.Removed what I wanted.I don't know why add/remove was freezing up on me.I have 30 days to try this one.If I dont like it then it goes.

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Oh, so you weren't looking for an uninstaller that finds left over registry entries and such?
    I misread you, and in that case Zsoft is one of the best i've seen. Works just as Add-remove, for that specific function, and asks if you want to delete the folder in program files.
    To remove those reg entries, you would need to use the "Analyse" function while installing, and then uninstall with it.

11. zcv

zcv Registered Member

To address your original problem.

Snagit does have an uninstaller, otherwise Add/Remove wpuldn't have an entry for it. There is something wrong with it, or it got deleted, or there is something wrong with Add/Remove itself.

Add/Remove does not uninstall anything on its own. It depends on the uninstaller supplied with the app, almost always in the Program Files\app name and usually has unistall.exe in the name.

To fix this, try reinstalling SnagIt - then try uninstalling it again.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry, just replied in hurry after seeing the thread title without reading the post..
    You r right.
    BTW I believe such an installer doesn,t exist!

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Me too!

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Does not Ashampoo Uninstaller use a similiar method(snapshot technology) as Total Uninstaller? It will take a snapshot prior to installation, then take another right after. Therefore, it may not be able to delete what you already have on disk before its time. Why not hide uninstaller's icon from desktop, so that your dear half does not know where to find it. I would try "your uninstaller" again, then followed by reg cleaner and reg editor to clean out remaining reg residue. This method works for me every single time.

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Sorry YourUninstaller wasn't up to the task for you :( I've used it to pull quite a few programs completely out that either couldn't locate the uninstall log (Watch Those RegCleaners) or else didn't remove entries in the registry completely.

If you're still not sure, try it out 21 days for FREE! A shareware version is available by clicking here - you can only uninstall 2 applications per session.

Should be able to pull out one since it offers to uninstall 2 per if you decide to give it another try as been suggested.

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: With regard to YourUninstaller by URSoft, since I use it on daily basis, I think I can share my experiences w/ you all. If the program designated for uninstallation has its uninstaller file, you find it on YU, then click uninstall, it will scan your box for deletion. It can not remove all things completely(apps using snapshot tech may , but having their shortcoming). Therefore you still need registry cleaner, such as registry repair,and Registrar Registry Manager-manually search program's reg residues. It has never failed me just yet. If program-to be deleted has no its uni- file, and you can not find it in add/remove section, then you have to utilize YU's Advanced Uninstaller to rid of the program. I have tried many uninstallers,all paid, YU perhaps is the best-suited for me.

17. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Registry Crawler is also a good program for cleaning the registry after using Your Uninstaller. It has a search function that will search for anything specified (such as the mfg or program name of the program you just uninstalled) in just a few seconds. Then lists all enties and enables you to delete the ones you don't want.

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I agree. Been using RegCrawler since 4developers released that baby back when i had 98SE all the time. It's very quick but you still have to one-by-one delete the lines you want removed.

19. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Not really. You can use the Shift and/or the Ctrl keys to make multiple selections.

20. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

You could try vcom sys suite -that did have a forced uninstall routine - scan and remove app or package for transportation to another system

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.