Need a freebee

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by None, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. None

None Guest

Need help finding free (the operative word!) software that will back-up (image my entire hard drive) onto CD's and be able to reinstall everything from the boot process back onto a new drive (should the old drive burn-up). I have a sneaky feeling this will happen soon. Damn trojans!

Any help would be appreciated!

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi None, has your sneaky feeling paid off yet? Just kidding of course. You didn't mention your system, but you might be able to find something operative here.

You might also try sharpening your search requests. ;)

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I'll move this over to Software and Services for better attention. ;)

snowbound

4. GlobalForce

Thankyou Snowbound.

P.S.- None, in addition check this thread courtesy of "gerardwil."

5. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Your data and your time are too valuable to put into the hands of a free, unsupported piece of software. You are much better off purchasing Acronis True Image, or Symantec Norton Ghost 2003. You have excellent support for Acronis here on this site, and I have been using Symantec Ghost Corporate Edition for years and stand by it. So why would you not want to spend $50 to $70 dollars to protect your data?

Close Hauled

6. GlobalForce

That's a good point. Seeing you mentioned Acronis (had NO idea what this was), bounded over to their website to check it, and wow, this sounds like something everyone could use to decrease anxiety. Thanks for being a catalyst here. ;)

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

8. None

None Guest

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I did find something of interest in my search, though. It's called XXCopy. Designed to work with Win 9.x for cloning the hard drive. I'm running ME so it should fit the bill. I hope I'll never have to use it, but who knows? I'll try and find the link.

9. None

None Guest

10. None

None Guest

I may be beating a dead horse here, but has anyone tried cloning a small operating system onto a memory key? This would seem to be an ideal solution if all went south and you had to be up and running on the fly.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Why would you even try this when a CD or DVD already does the job at a fraction of the price. A 1Gb thumbdrive is still way to costly...

Cheers :D

12. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

None;

XXCopy does not do what you originally asked. It is an enhanced XCopy that adds sorely missed features. It is not a true disk clone utility.

A true disk clone utility will copy a broken file system by doing a sector by sector copy. This is important when trying to recover a corrupted operating system. XXCopy will not do this. XXCopy is a Windows utility which will not back up other OS’s either.

Finally, XXCopy will not compress. A good clone utility will compress so that you won’t have to use so many CD’s.

Close Hauled

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  13. None

None Guest

Your probably right. There is no such thing as a free lunch. I suppose a true imaging software package is in order using a DVD disk and then adjusting the BIOS to read the drive first.

Thanks for your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.