Need a backup program for Skydrive

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by acr1965, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I have used the SDexplorer and it is ok. But I don't see how to only upload new and changed files to Skydrive with SDexplorer. Is there a program that will backup my new and changed documents to Skydrive? It does not have to be freeware. And I think I am mainly interested in Skydrive because I believe Microsoft would give some sort of notice should they decide to end the Skydrive feature of live.com. I'm not so sure other companies would give a notice and the documents I need to backup online are important.

The only other online service I would do this with would maybe be google as I think there used to be a way to upload documents to gmail and have gmail act as online storage. Is there a program for this? I thought there used to be- but Skydrive would be preferred.

Thanks for any info.

2. Tadoussac

Tadoussac Registered Member

Accessing Skydrive from 3rd party software isn't officially supported by a Microsoft API - so you might be violating their Terms of Service, and placing your data at risk by pursuing this approach. Read this (3rd paragraph):

http://skydriveapiclient.codeplex.com/

I understand your concerns about online storage operators who could abruptly shut-down operations,and leave you locked out of your data. I went thru the same cost / benefit / risk calculation and decided to use Amazon S3 for cloud storage.

On the software side, I backup to S3 using duplicati. http://code.google.com/p/duplicati/. The application is freeware / donationware. The variety of automated backup options offered is impressive, including full and incremental backup, which should handle your requirement to backup new and changed docs.

Hope this helps.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I think I've decided to go with Trend Micro's SafeSync for my online storage. But after looking at that Live Mesh I think I will use it instead of SDexplorer for some files that may need to be accessed by different people.

I hear Google is going to be making some pretty major strides into the online storage arena so I'll keep an eye on them as well.

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.