Need a Av

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DX2, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DX2

DX2 Guest

That protects against viruses and adware, like yontoo and babylon.

thanks

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

3. DX2

DX2 Guest

I cleaned this clients computer. It is running Norton. But was full of adware or pups.

4. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

AdwCleaner from bleepingcomputer, google it.

5. DX2

DX2 Guest

Im not looking for a program to remove adware. Im looking for a AV that protects against them...

6. Circe

Circe Registered Member

malwarebytes

7. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

You don't need an AV to protect against adware. Install firefox, install ablock plus with all types of subscriptions; install NoScript addon. Use firefox as your main browser, and you should be all set. Also install malwarebytes antimalware if you want further protection.

regards,
    oliverjia

8. DX2

DX2 Guest

thanks. I'll try that. Its for a older couple.

9. guest

guest Guest

ESET is kinda aggressive to PUPs as far as I can tell. I personally much prefer to rely upon a BB or HIPS to fight PUPs though. They're just so effective against them.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yontoo is constantly on the top 10 list of detection by ESET. And i've seen "Baby" too on the top 10 in several countries.

FYI Yontoo is currently on place 6 of detections in the U.S.
    http://virusradar.com/statistics/10/us

Though you don't mention if you want a free or if a paid for AV is OK as well? :)

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Rely on BB and/or HIPS for adware and PUPs, idk, that means that they need to "get inside" for them to react, while an effective http scanner can detect them before you are able to download them in the first place, I know wich I prefer. ;) Might be because I like the "blocking at the source" type.

12. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

Using a BB/HIPS will be tough for old couple. Is their norton av latest one with updated definitions and live subscription?

13. DX2

DX2 Guest

@ Swex

Paid or free is fine. .

@sm1

It's the free Norton you get from Comcast

14. guest

guest Guest

I know that, I was just expressing my preference to BB and CHIPS. That's all. :p

15. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

After I got infected with a PUP recently I was in the same dilema. A lot of AVs free or paid wont provide real time protection. Here is what I use:
    Forticlient + MBAM pro real time. FortiClient has a web filter that will block PUP download, it has a real time guard that will remove PUP if downloaded and MBAM pro also comes with a real time protection against PUPs. If you want a paid AV both Avira and ESET have PUP protectiob as well.

16. guest

guest Guest

@DX2

You probably already knew this, but EAM 8.1 has been released and one of its new features is a better PUP detection. The BB also gives you warning about PUPs with clear and unambiguous popup. See here.

Yeah, Emsisoft! :thumb:

Avira has a PUP component by itself to begin with, however.

17. DX2

DX2 Guest

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Much appreciated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.