NAV Upgrade or something new?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BlackHawk66, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackHawk66

BlackHawk66 Registered Member

Howdy again, all...

Got a nasty scare this mornin' when I came home from work. My wife tells me that she was chatting on Yahoo! last night when, all of a sudden, ZoneAlarm locked the internet. This got me thinking about security...I know, security should be my first priority, but I'm trying to learn on a bunch of different topics at once, including Linux which will probably kill me.

Okay here's the deal. I've read that the older technologies may not protect as well as I'd like. I'm currently running NAV 2001 and am trying to decide whether to upgrade or switch.

From the reading I've done so far (I love this place, thank you Paul and all the others who make my computing life easier and more secure) it seems that NAV 2004 may take up a bit more of my resources than I am willing to part with.

That being said, I have no idea what would be a good alternative. Sorry, it's kinda hard to read between the bashing that seems to happen when an NAV thread comes around.

So....

1. Are my fears about resource hogging and NAV 2004 justified?

2. If the answer to 1 is "yes", what might be my best purchase option for excellent, fairly lean virus protection?

3. I've noticed from my reading I don't seem to have any protection set up for trojans and the like. Any product I might be advised to pick up?

If it helps to know, here's some info...

Windows 98se
    750 mHz
    512 mb ram

Zonealarm (free version)
    AdAware
    SpywareGuard
    SpywareBlaster
    Spybot S&D

...and I am very good about updating.

I'm not trying to start a war so, please, objective opinions only. :D

Thanks

2. groundling

groundling Registered Member

Blackhawk:
    I was facing the same problem. My system is leaner than yours. Windows98SE, P266, 176Mb RAm.

I decided not to attempt the upgrade. I trialed F-prot for Windows which I liked very much, but needs changed , Have been using the e-trust 7 promo for quite some time.

I have no problems with it , like it,and actually prefer it to my admitedly old version of Norton.

I believe Randy Bell once showed resources taken up by various Norton versions, but I don't have a link.Can't remember which forum even. Age, Lol!

3. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I can't speak to this, since I haven't used 04. However, NAV04 is a lot "bigger" than 2001, and pretty invasive. My opinion is that I wouldn't put a current version of NAV on a machine running 98 with the mhz you list--2000, 2001 are great for it, but...
    For the machine you list, I would choose either NOD32 (graphics off), or F-Prot, which is getting a major upgrade (so I hear) pretty soon. Others will mention Dr. Web, which is another "light" alternative, but I don't have experience with it.
    I'd run BOClean with that setup. TDS3 and TrojanHunter are good alternatives, but not as lean.
    Those look good to me! ;)

Nice post, BH.

Good luck. ;)

4. BlackHawk66

BlackHawk66 Registered Member

Hi, JimIT,

Thanks for your quick response.

You mention the word "invasive"....THAT, is a major mood killer in my book. :mad: One of the major reasons I'm trying for Linux. In fact, this box will probably be soley Linux someday with a bigger, better, faster box being built for Windows. 'Course, that will all depend on the outcome of the "Trusted Computing" garbage being bandied about.

Okay, so I'm switching. While you were responding to my post I was reading the newly found reviews of all the different security software. Sometimes my ignorance reaches drooling level. :D

I see that NOD32 comes highly recommended here at Wilders so I think it'll be the one. Much the same for BOClean.

One more question, though. Will this take care of my worm worries, or is that another program to worry about?

Thanks, again!

5. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

You're welcome! :)

I hear that. I hope I'm always ignorant of something. Maybe it'll keep me busy in my old age... :D
    Can't argue with those choices.

That's a matter of preference, IMO. DiamondCS makes a program called WormGuard, which is a neat thing. I don't have experience with it, but there are others here that can help with info.

Incidentally, NOD32 is excellent at detecting and preventing worm attacks as well. I believe there's a thread here at Wilders touting it's remarkable heuristic ability vs. worms which Rodzilla contributed to. If he's snurfling about, he might expound on it. ;)

Regardless, your choices look great to me.

Best of luck. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.