NAV Update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ftwynne59, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ftwynne59

ftwynne59 Registered Member

Hi all

This may have been posted previously...but can you help a newbie.

I have NAV 2005 and regularly update (every 2/3 days). Today I attempted to update and NAV came back with a small Trusted Application File...which is question No. (1)..what's this o_O Downloaded & Installed successfully....

and (2)...the Virus Definitions Update showed appx 1.5mb download...launching the download confirmed that it had successfully downloaded but I noticed a red 'X' checkmark against the definitions list...re-tried and a 8.5mb+ download appeared.....wierd (would also take appx 40 min on my pedestrian dial-up.

Any advice?? ( I cancelled the download until I can understand whats going on....)

Cheers

ftwyyne59

2. vee

vee Registered Member

I think this should be here: other anti-virus software :).

R.
    vee

3. ftwynne59

Thanks for your prompt response Vee.

Re-tried the NAV Live update and got that 1.5mb Virus Definitions Update back...launched the install and again got the red 'x' checkmark...re-tried and the 8.5mb download definitions file appeared again !!!

Can somebody please HELP !!!

Regards

ftwyyne59 :mad: o_O

4. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Thanks vee, in fact you and I acted almost at the same time -- GMTA, I was in the process of moving the thread here {from Updates} at the same time you posted. Let's hope ftwynne59 will get the help he needs here. I note that the following recent thread, here in AV Forum, may be releavant to ftwynne59's question: Latest Norton LiveUpdate

5. Randy_Bell

ftwyyne59, can you give us the specific Error Code that you are getting with the red 'x' ?? Meanwhile, try starting here, in the Symantec Knowledge Base: LiveUpdate fails to install updates. But what we really need is the specific Error Code you are seeing. We can then look that up in the Knowledge Base and see what it says. ;)

6. ftwynne59

Thanks to you also Randy Bell...

11.15pm here and I'm pooped....will return to this little problem tomorrow when hopefully there are more helpful posts.....
    ;)
    Cheers all

ftwynne59

7. Randy_Bell

OK but we really need the Error Code {1036, 1047, etc. -- usually a 4-digit code} that LiveUpdate {LU} program is displaying when you get the red 'x'. Until we get that Error Code, we're just guessing blindly. Thanks and get some sleep. ;)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  8. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Warning!!!
    ftwynne59,
    This exact thing happened on my desktop...now I'm getting blue screens of death and am looking at formatting and starting over!!! I don't have any answers as to why this happened or what to do about it. The 1.5Mb file was downloaded and installed properly on my laptop and I've heard from others that they haven't had any problems. However, I experienced the exact same thing as you are experiencing on my desktop and now it's dead.

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, folks, as best as I can remember, this is what happened on my WinXP, NAV2005 system: First I downloaded the 1.5mb update, received an error message that started with an U?, I know that's not much help, something about incomplete updateo_O?? Anyway, I ran LiveUpdate again and recieved an 8mg update. Ever since then everything seems to be OK, when I ran LiveUpdate a couple hours ago, it told me that I was up-to-date, so I am keeping my fingers crossed and keeping my trusty FirstDefense-ISR at my trigger finger. ;)

Acadia

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I reinstalled norton av 2005 and norton firewall plus norton utilities and cleansweep this morning which was a total 16745 in size fortunatly everything is working well. I hope this is just a spotty problem and not a global thing.

11. Randy_Bell

I don't know if this explains the large LiveUpdate download but I received this info the evening of August 22, from a friend {insider} at Symantec:

12. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I believe what you're referring to is a LU9000 error. I had the same thing happen. I ran it on my laptop and my desktop (both set up identically) and my laptop is now up to date and fine...my desktop is about to go through a total reinstall. Unfortunately, I bought First Defense today as a result of the mess instead of ahead of time.
    Not to hijack this thread, but can anyone give me tips on how I should configure my desktop. For example, I have 2 WD 80 gig drives set up in a RAID 0 configuration. I also have a 120 gig WD drive that I use for music and backing up my important data. The question to be answered is should I set up seperate partitions (i.e. one particularly for Windows/programs and one for my data) or should I simply have everything on one partition and continue to use my 120 gig drive for backing up? Also, I want to start using Ghost (2003 I hear that is better than the new version) to take images of my drive in case I have another catastrophe. What I'm thinking is that I will install Windows (update it), install all of my critical programs, and then use Ghost to image the hard drive and store that image on a seperate internal HD designated for that purpose. Is this a good strategy or am I missing something?

13. vee

vee Registered Member

No problem :)... I just hoped (and seems was right) that there will be more chance of people answering in right forum. I couldn't help much though as I am not using Symantrc products.

Anyway I hope ftwynne59 will find a solution to his problem...

R,
    vee

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yes, I believe that was the error that I received.

You are going to LOVE that program.

Acadia

15. ftwynne59

Hi all

Just to give you a quick update on my NAV 2005 Update problem I experienced a couple of days ago.

Today launched live update...2 updates available (1278.5 + 1634.9) total 2913.4kb...downloaded & installed no problem (no error messages, no 8.5mb file either ?!).

Seems this was just a blip...but I'll keep watch.

thanks to the following for their help :
    Randy Bell
    Acadia
    Dallen
    bigc73542
    Vee

Cheers...and have agreat Bank hol !!

ftwyyne59 :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.