NAV Or Panda

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Shaker, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

I've been running the new NAV 2005 now a couple of days shy of a week. I like it. It runs very nicely. My problem is, I also like Panda Platinum, which I have been running before NAV. Given a choice, all things being equal, which would the experts here chose? No bashing any product please. Just honest opinions.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Between the two all issues taken into consideation I would use panda but if their was a third choice I might take it instead of either of the two in question.

bigc

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Likewise. :)

Cheers, TAS

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I tried out Panda but it hung up my machine. Even hung it up in Safe Mode. NAV seems to be more tolerant of other resident programs. I have BOClean, ZA, SpywarGuard and Ewido running alongside NAV. I had the same problem with KAV that I had with Panda. NAV just gives me more configuraton choices. Others may have different experiences or different configuration needs. It is something that you may want to test out yourself before making a decison.

Rich

5. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I tried KAV, NOD, MKS, Command, F-Prot, Bit Defender and just downloaded NAV 2005. I figured that it had a 60 day trial and I'd give it a try. What a pleasant surprise. Install went without a hitch, Live Update updates every 4 hours, or you can schedule it hourly if you like. It is much much faster than NAV 2004. I also noticed that the three AVs that are most consistently ranked in the same place in every test is KAV, McAfee and NAV. All of the other AVs are ranked all over the place from test to test. KAV and McAfee are usually top 3 and NAV usually around 5-7. That was NAV prior to 2005 and I would venture to guess they may move up in the rankings. It seems they have enhanced their worm and trojan detection. I highly recommend it.

6. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

So far it's two for Panda, sort of, and two for NAV. Close race. I know a lot people don't like these type of threads, but I still would like to hear your thoughts.

As far as Panda causing a computer to hang up, I haven't had that problem. Lucky maybe. The only problem I had was with username/password configuration for updates. I would sometimes get a message that my configuration ID was incorrect, when it wasn't.

7. sard

sard Registered Member

I’ve had problems getting Panda to scan pop3 email with Thunderbird, but that’s an annoyance more than a security risk. Email scanning’s overrated anyway and hardly any AVs support IMAP for some reason.

8. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Panda gets my vote, I have it running on 5 computers here at the house.

9. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Panda is by far the one id go for, but mcafee enterprise 8 is much better than both put together.

10. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Anybody not voting for NAV, have you tried NAV 2005? I ran Perfectdisk after installation and my computer flies with no noticeable drag on my computer like I had with 2004. Aesthetically, 2005 looks better too. I like the stethescope icon when Auto-Protection is enabled. ;)

11. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Happy Panda user here too.

12. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

I know I started this thing, and it's interesting to get other's points of view, but I've come to the conclusion to stay with NAV 20005. I'm liking it too much to uninstall it. Thanks to those who participated.

13. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

I know this sounds like being fickled on my part, but I'm back to using Panda. I'm not bashing NAV, because I do think it's a nice product, but there were a couple of issues. One, it seemed to slow down my computer at start up and shut down. Because it was something shiney and new, I guess I didn't notice it at first. It just may be my computer. Someone else may not be affected. The second thing had to do with the NAV's updates. I am just too used to the daily updates I get from Panda. I didn't like waiting a week for LiveUpdate. I didn't like having to download them manually at the Symantec site, and I didn't want to make a batch file for them. JMHO. :)

14. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Good choice

15. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Yeah, I think so too. :)

16. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

i would use neither, have seen both fail miserably. there are free av that are better and lighter on resources.

panda has failed virusbulliten tests numerous times
    norton is a resource hog and there is privacy issues.

17. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Free AV that are better?? Would you mind naming them and show results of tests?

18. bigc73542

I started useing panda platinum 7 nine days ago and it works flawlessly on my xp computer. It even recognizes it in the sp2 security center. it gives the av and firewall a green light. I have used panda over the past few years off and on but this version seems to work very well. Where as some of the older versions used a lot of resources.

bigc

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  19. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

i have been useing panda for awhile now and really like it and i got full version- free liscence for a year.-i am really satisfied with it.
    Rita

20. bigc73542

The free year long liscense did not hurt a bit.

21. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

sure didnt,and you get updates every time you get online-so far its been every day.
    Rita

22. Shaker

Shaker Registered Member

Hi bigc73542 and ritaann. I agree. My Panda Platinum 7 is working flawlessly on my computer also. Just curious. Is your version 7.07.01?

23. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

AVG, Avast, etc

have a look at the vb100% ratings

24. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Hint:

If you uninstall NAV which i think is a wise decision,
    please check your system AFTER that, for all traces that
    will remain on your system

Search for 'symantec' and 'live update' etc. in files/folders AND registry.

NAV is not only the AV which has the largest performance impact on your system AND NETWORK CONNECTION (need seperate server for that) :D but it has certainly the most terrible deinstall program i have EVER seen!

With any luck, you can find a deinstall tool on the Symatec website,
    which is for customers which want to install a new version,

but a running into problems because de deinstall of the old version didn't work properly

25. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Shaker
    yes,mine is 7.07.01

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.