NAV 2003

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by enigma, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enigma

enigma Registered Member

I am currently running NAV 2003 on XP home. I would like a free AV that would work with NAV. I like a layered defence. Or do i really need a second AV using NAV o_O
    Thanks in advance!

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi again enigma, :)

Similar to the reply I made in your thread in the other firewalls forum section, be sure that you only run one AV product resident and active at the same time on your system. If you want a free AV to use as a second opinion for on-demand virus scanning, I recommend F-Prot for DOS.

With F-Prot for DOS you get a very powerful virus scanning engine, (one good enough that some AV vendors also use the F-Prot engine in their products), which can be used to scan a single file, a folder or an entire disk. Of the free options, there are few with better engines.

NAV is a good AV to keep as primary (and running resident). If you were going to spend money though, the extra layer in your defense I'd recommend would be an Anti-Trojan product. The three top products are BOClean, TDS and Trojan Hunter (these are simply listed in alphabetical order).

Edit: Take a look at our Free Tools page. At the top you'll see a few free AV products listed.

3. enigma

enigma Registered Member

Hay low watermark,
    Outstanding!! You people are simply OUTSTANDING!!!
    What an explaination. NOW i get it. Im going to immediately check into the AT products you recommended.
    Thanks for your time and the link in ' other firewalls' also.
    enigma

4. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Having two av at the same computer, even with the residents disable, can cause a lot of trouble. For a second av, just a "backup scanner", try BitDefender 7.0 FREE Edition (see info at http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?)

More freeware links ;)

5. enigma

enigma Registered Member

Hay technical,I find myself stating this over again, outstanding! Checked out your links and now i have even more to learn :) As soon as my post is done im going back to both links provided and do the research! I love this!!!

enigma

6. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Believe me, I'm a newbie here but you can see I know a lot of avast! to recommend it. If you need some help... ;)

7. enigma

enigma Registered Member

Hi to Technical and Low Watermark,
    Ive checked out the links and i will register at avast.com/forums so i can get a little more indepth info.
    'our free tools', WOW a bunch of stuff i never heard of. Ive got to sort that one out. Thanks for all the links!
    F-prot for DOS: im going back there to check it out more throughly. I put it in my favorites. Thanks. If there is any link i forgot to mention excuse me. But i went to them all and put them into favorites to go back and really go through them when i have more time. This weekend for sure!!!
    So much i never heard of! All new vistas. I love it :)

enigma

8. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

Hello!

Do I have full security with Norton Antivirus 2001 and all updates?

9. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hi Kloshar,

Welcome to Wilder's.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "full security", but as far as anti-virus programs go, NAV 2001 is a good one, and should protect you well from viruses.

Depending on your surfing/online habits, there are other considerations as well, such as anti-trojan, firewall, and other security measures that may be appropriate, but perhaps you could provide more information before that discussion goes further.

I'm sure others will be along to comment. ;)

10. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

OK, thanx for all answers!

I was just wondering, if my Nav2001 is able to discover newer viruses. It isn't able to discover trojans, that is true. I've got firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.