Naming

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by HeyWatchThis, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeyWatchThis

HeyWatchThis Registered Member

I am using True Image Home 11.

I have a scheduled task called "Weekly System State" where I have the sytem state of drive C backed up as a full backup.
    I navigated to the folder where I want the backup. Then I choose a name like "SystemState". I run the task and it completes the task without errors. I open that folder and it has a file called "SystemState1". OK good enough for me.

A week later it runs and the name is REPLACED with "SystemState". Humm So I run it again it and again it is replaced with ... you guessed it "SystemState". WHY?

How can I make it use a NEW name and not erase the old name?
    How can I predict or plan for the name to add a 1 to what ever it is.

state1
    state2
    state3 and so on. I want to be able to choose which state I want to restore it too.

Thanks.

2. HeyWatchThis

update

while the task is being accomplished it is named SystemState1.

Then when I refresh the window it drops the 1 and is called "SystemState". But it always replaces the previous file. I checked the options and there are no options that fix this. There must be an option that allows you to keep more than one System State.

I am using Acronis®*True*Image*Home® version 11.0 (build*8,101)

Thanks.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Iirc, ATI11 had some bugs wherein it does not keep changes to tasks. I thought some or all of this was fixed in the ATI12 (at least in the single ATI12 update that's been released since the original release).

ATI11 was probably the buggiest release Acronis ever perpetrated. Worse, a number of critical bugs in ATI11 were never fixed and Acronis merely supplanted ATI11 with ATI12/2009.

Fastest workaround is to create a new task.

4. HeyWatchThis

I did create a new task.

How can I create a new task that will not REPLACE the previous saved file?

5. HeyWatchThis

Same thing today. The daily task ran as scheduled and completed without errors, but it ERASED the previous file.

ARGGG!

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

As far as I know "this is by design." Changing the name of a backup to append 1, 2, 3... isn't a feature of TI scheduler. It's just a simple one shot tasker.

If you want more than one name, I believe you have to create more than one job. Schedule the jobs to start at different times. Each job will just overwrite it's backup, but the other job's backups will still be there until those jobs run.

If you use a "Backup Location" this may not be true, then there are lots of other problems from the posts here.

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

HeyWatchThis,
    I hope your backups include a full disk option backup which includes all data and all partitions.

If your drive fails, your system state backups will not enable you to recover to a new drive.

8. HeyWatchThis

Yes I do both backups. I do a monthly FULL backup and a weekly system state backup.

WOW - Wouldn't that be a mistake to not do a full backup too.

But I really want the option to be able to restore more than one system state. That way if some thing goes wrong, I can back up a week or back up weeks ago.

How can I get the system state to schedule and save more than one copy and not replace it with the new.

THIS SHOULD BE ON THE NEXT VERSION. BETTER NAMING!

9. HeyWatchThis

Ok so I have been testing this for about a week and have done at least 40-50 test. I thought I had it.

You can go to Backup location and choose how many files you want, how much space, and how long to keep. EXCELLENT idea.

SO WHY DOES IT NOT WORK?

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

JMK is right. I took it for granted yo had read theuser guide and were using Backup Locations. IF you haven't done that, go back and do your homework; you can achieve what you want in ATI but you need to use Tasks that backup up to Backup Locations as described in the user guide.

Or find any post by Groverh and check out the guides referenced in his signature and find out about using Backup Locations and how to avoid the most common mistake.

11. HeyWatchThis

>>>>>If you use a "Backup Location" this may not be true, then there are lots of other problems from the posts here.>>>>>

Yea I read that but didn't understand what he meant - till now.

>>>>>IF you haven't done that, go back and do your homework; you can achieve what you want in ATI but you need to use Tasks that backup up to Backup Locations as described in the user guide.>>>>>

DUH! Did I not just do that and report that it STILL DOES NOT WORK .....>>>>MY POST>>>>>You can go to Backup location and choose how many files you want, how much space, and how long to keep. EXCELLENT idea.

SO WHY DOES IT NOT WORK?>>>>>

So thanks for taking the time to comment and tell me I should have done something that I just said I already did. Now can you post any benificial responses?

Thanks for all those who are helping me solve this issue!

PS. I have read the user guide, the help section, and have tested this many many different ways.

12. HeyWatchThis

Anyone?

Bueller?

13. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Here are some possibilities:

Download the text file. Change the type or number of backups but the procedure is there.

Create and Configure Backup Locations Incremental.txt by CatFan432
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172470#13

Actual download
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=189433&d=1177754188

Vers 11 User Manual on Backup Locations
    Chapter 3.5 and Chapter 8
    Note particulary the last paragraph under Ch 3.5 Setting rules for backup locations which reads:
    "When creating a backup task, be sure to select the backup location from the Backup
    Locations list, near the top of the directory tree. Doing so will enable the above processing
    of backups. If you select a backup location as a normal folder, the processing will not be
    performed." ​
    --------------------------------------------------------

Suggest you check out three threads on "Backup locations" found in the Useful Forum Threads link below.

14. Antifreeze

Antifreeze Registered Member

Just to mention, if you can somehow upgrade to ATI home 2009,
    you could do what you describe:

· backup method = incremental
    · create new full backup after 0 incremental backups
    · uncheck 'remove old archives'

15. ladydenmark

ladydenmark Registered Member

Hi - I have the same problem as HeyWatchThis - and I have therefore upgraded to version 2009. It is still the same: If I schedule a weekly full backup of my C-drive, Acronis OVERWRITE the last backup. And yes, I can see, that it is written in the task that it should be like that.

Does that really mean, that one has to make a separate task for every backup every week? What is then the idea of a scheduled backup?

Kirsten in Denmark

16. HeyWatchThis

Grover....!

You are DA MAN!

You got it. You solved it. More importantly you explained to me what I was doing wrong.

After the setup I was letting ATI select the folder I wanted it backed up in, but I did not navigate to the backup location - Under backup location. I was using the same folder but navigate to a different path. Who would have thought. "Bad design ATI".

Thanks so much for your help. It works and it works right!

Like I said... You Da Man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.