Name countries visited in the past with comments

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by yogishree, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yogishree

yogishree Registered Member

Hi All ,

Can we have the names of the countries which you may have visited in the past alongwith anything striking which you may have observed or seen during your visit .

2. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Well, I'll mention one of my favorites. Canada!! I havn't been north of the border in a few years but Wifey and I used to go quite frequently when we lived in Northern Vermont (US/Canada Border). Montreal is a beautiful city that had awesome food and 'Freedom' pastries in abundance. Alas, while the people of Canada are very open and friendly, back in the 60's the Province of Quebec was the hotbed of a separatist movement so anyone Anglo was to be shunned. I'm not sure what the climate is now. There was a moderate size Chinatown that we always visited as the food was exceptional. On one trip w/a co-worker and our wives.....the wives went shopping.....I was taken to a strip club. When one of the fetching performers finished her act she came down off the stage directly to our table. She came right up to me and said, "I know you from somewhere"! After turning every shade of RED possible ... it came back to me in a flash! I had attended a Stag Party for one of my buddies 4 or 5 Mos. previous (about 300 mi. away) and being ever so slightly under the influence of the 'Demon Rum' I had jumped up on the stage to assist that same performer. Luckily for me video cameras were not in vogue at that time but I'm pretty sure that I haven't found and destroyed all of the Polaroids.

I swore my co-worker to secrecy but you know how trustworthy they are! I stayed out of the office for about a Mo. till most of it (but not all) died down.

Wifey didn't know about this but she was pleasantly surprised w/all the flowers, candy, and jewelry I was frantically buying.

Repentant in Regina, Red ed

3. yogishree

As far as I am concerned I visited Canada & USA some yrs back . Stayed the maximum in Montreal which definitely is one of the most beautiful cities I have seen - the only problem , if it could be termed that , being most of the people being able to speak only french . Had my first experience of seeing a striptease performance there as they are not allowed in India.

Visited many of the Coal and Iron Ore mines in Canada and was staggered to find an absolute strength of 53 perons in a mine producing per annum more than 1.7 million tonnes of Coal .

Besides the extremely high levels of cleanliness everywhere the most striking thing was the exemplary discipline shown by people in all walks of life.

The pleasantest surprise was finding Indian restaurants almost everywhere . Had an unforgettablly authentic "indian" dinner in a small town of Canada - as far as I remember it was Edmonton.

4. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Back when I was a teenager, I drove through Canada going to a place called "Lake of the Woods" which is actually a part of the USA, but due to a surveyors error, it is completely surrounded by Canada. We saw lots of black bears there. The scenery was just beautiful. This happened in August and it was already cold there. I'd love to go back there someday but not in the winter. :eek:

5. Under0ath

Under0ath Registered Member

I have been many places over seas.

First of all, born in England. Must say, its a fine place to be, especially if its your first vacation out of North America. Everyone (most) speak english and are usually quite helpful (please note, USUSALLY). Its easy to find your way around and you can also take the famous black taxi cabs we have there. Many places are there to visit: Tower of London, London Eye (Beautiful view), Big Ben, and so on.

Italy is another really wonderful place. Gorgeous views, especially at night. Italians are also friendly, possibly more than us brits (in some cases :D ). Amazing food, especially their pasta, pizza, cheeses, and of course, bread. There are many great things to see and do there, but many things varry by the place you go. Venice for example as we all know is sinking. Seeing Venice sinking whilst its raining is a spectacular view. Planks are brought out as to elevate sidewalks to allow you to pass without getting wet. The best part of Venice? Believe it or not, getting lost. When you get lost you can walk the streets and enteratin youself for quite a while finding your way back. Along hte way, shops line the streets and very good restaurants do as well. Other parts of italy have their ups too. One thing i didnt like however, was the excessive amounts of Churches. We went witha tour, and pretty much everyday saw 2-3 churches. Wife loved it, i nodded myhead when she asked if i was enjoying it.

France is another artsy (if thats a bloody word :) ) country. Everywhere you go you'll find art museams or statues. Some are quite nice, some make little sense and leave you scratching your head. I will say however if you know absolutely no french, you will be fine in france. I took french high school- college, wife took spanish. It was quite fun seeing her struggle trying to make simple questions like 'where is the restroom' (ou est la toilette?). Its another one of those great food places as well. Escargot, i do not recomend however.

Spain we went many years ago, i dont remember much. It was a very nice and lively country. Many things to do, fun things to see.

Germany is another place we went a while ago. Since my memory has lost me a bit, i cant give very precise details, as i did with england, france and italy. again lots to see, confusing language, and well, food wasnt as good as one could anticipate.

Ive been to many, many other countreis. If there is any in specific youd like me to talk about, let me know and ill do the best i can to remember things from it :)

I hope that was helpful to you in any way. Are you planning to take a trip somewhere?

Cheers

6. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Countries visited are coast to coast the across the U.S., Canada; Mexico; The Caribbean; Australia, [4 x's] New Zealand, [4 x's] Fiji, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland; South America - all have their uniqueness. Would love to see the whole world but doubt I will live long enough or have enough money to do it. ;) Portugal intrigues me so who knows!! :D

7. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:eek: Take a look at the Wildman's life stories thread (may not be exactly how it's listed, but it's close).

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool:

8. yogishree

Thx for the response - UnderOath.

No-I do not plan to take a trip , atleast , in the near future .

The purpose of starting the thread was to have a better idea about each other's perspective of looking at things and , may be , in the process promote more understanding amongst us at a personal level so that we become something more than mere pseudonyms and avatars to each other.

Thx - Wildman - for your comments but I do think that the two are somewhat dissimilar .
    :cool:

9. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) You could be correct, in some thread out here I have stated the countries that I have visited and lived in. One of them was India back in 1954 thru 1957 (approx. I was a kid back then so the time may not be exact but it is close) Jamshedpur, father worked on an expansion to the Tata Steel mill. I thought all this was in the thread I previously mentioned but I could be mistaken.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :D :cool:

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have been to
    Canada
    Vietnam
    Korea
    Japan
    Mexico
    Thailand

I really don't care to leave the US again except for one exception. I would love to see Australia, New Zeland and Tasmania.

bigc

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

BigC a well travelled creature. To date I am fairly untravelled. One day maybe. But this is why I likely find this thread so interesting. Love to here from more. :)

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I have been to
    France
    Germany
    Luxembourg
    Italy
    I'm a house mouse and I don't really enjoy travelling.

I went three days to London (England) to test a special hardware/software configuration, that was able to read handwritten text.
    I didn't like the machine, but the company bought it anyway.
    Two years later, they ditched it, because the users weren't happy with it.
    So England doesn't really count :D

13. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Travellin song,

I've been everywhere, man
    Crossed the deserts bare, man
    I've breatherd the mountain air, man
    Travel - I've had my share, man
    I've been everywhere

I've been to:
    Reno
    Chicago
    Fargo
    Minnesota
    Buffalo
    Toronto
    Winslow
    Sarasota
    Whichta
    Tulsa
    Ottowa
    Oklahoma
    Tampa
    Panama
    Mattua
    LaPaloma
    Bangor
    Baltimore
    Salvador
    Amarillo
    Tocapillo
    Pocotello
    Amperdllo

I'm a Killer
    I've been everywhere

I've been to:
    Boston
    Charleston
    Dayton
    Lousiana
    Washington
    Houston
    Kingston
    Texas (County)
    Monterey
    Fairaday
    Santa Fe
    Tollaperson
    Glen Rock
    Black Rock
    Little Rock
    Oskaloussa
    Tennessee
    Tinnesay
    Chickapee
    Spirit Lake
    Grand Lake
    Devil's Lake
    Crater Lake

For Pete's Sake
    I've been everywhere

I've been to:
    Louisville
    Nashville
    Knoxville
    Omerback
    Shereville
    Jacksonville
    Waterville
    Costa Rock
    Richfield
    Springfield
    Bakersfield
    Shreveport
    Hakensack
    Cadallic
    Fond du Lac
    Davenport
    Idaho
    Jellico
    Argentina
    Diamondtina
    Pasadena
    Catalina

See What I Mean
    I've been everywhere

I've been to:
    Pittsburgh
    Parkersburg
    Gravelburg
    Colorado
    Ellisburg
    Rexburg
    Vicksburg
    Eldorado
    Larimore
    Adimore
    Habastock
    Chadanocka
    Shasta
    Nebraska
    Alaska
    Opalacka
    Baraboo
    Waterloo
    Kalamazoo
    Kansas City
    Souix City
    Cedar City
    Dodge City

What A Pity
    I've been everywhere

I certainly can't say i've been to as many places as JC but i've been to a few. :D ;) :D

snowbound

14. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Born and raised in the USA.

The only country I've visited so far outside the US borders is Mexico. Been there a few times and flew to Cozumel to get married this year.

That's about it. Im not a seasoned traveler, but I've got lots of plans

15. yogishree

That certainly is cool. :cool:

Makes me remember a very old hindi song , from a film by Raj Kapoor , which roughly translated says :

my shoes are from Japan,
    these trousers are from England;
    on my head i have the topi from Russia
    but my heart continues to be indian

16. CarolinaMoonshine

CarolinaMoonshine Registered Member

I am not exactly a seasoned world traveler. :D

I was born in the USA and have not been very far from home - well except for Nashville, Chicago, Orlando, LA, Baker (Montana) :D - to name a few.

There are lots of places in the USA I have not visited, but would love to see.

MEXICO! Been there - LOVED IT! I loved the laid back atmosphere - can't speak a word of Spanish (well except for three or four cuss words).

The local's response to touristas - well, I could have done without that.

:rolleyes: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.