MyWaySA

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by JerryM, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

My BHO Demon and also WinPatrol identified something that had this in its identity as Malware.

I removed the part that was listed, but WinPatrol said that the file folder would be in the C program folder. That folder is MyWaySA.

Is there any reason that I should not remove/delete that folder? It is evidently associated with IE, and maybe some search function.

Jerry

2. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Dont delete it directly first.
    I would suggest you use Spybot, Adaware or Spyware Doctor to root out all the infected files and registry entries.
    I also found a link for you
    http://www.scanspyware.net/info/MyWay.MyBar.htm

Hope it helps.

Abhishek

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I ran Adaware, Spybot S&D, Spy Sweeper, and Counterspy. Then I ran the program from the site you referenced. It quickly found 27 entries of spyware. Most were shown as.
    Spyware - Viewpoint toolbar
    Category - RegKey
    Value- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOF

High risk.

Somehow after running the programs that I have, and they did not find anything, I am skeptical as to the results of the tool from scabsotware.

Opinions?

Thanks,
    Jerry

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

snowbound,
    Thanks. I should have checked that site.
    I removed it from my machine, and also the myway stuff.
    I guess it has been there for awhile, but had not causes any known problems.

Thanks, again.

Jerry

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Your welcome Jerry. :)

snowbound

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I was surprised that when I scanned with MS Anti Spyware Beta, it told me that I had some bad malware. It happened to be connected with IE. It wanted me to go to MyWay search. In fact that is the way that I got MyWay on IE when I used MSAS to check out my system. I am not sure how I did that. But BHS Demon and some other programs caught it and identified it as undesireable.

To double check the MSAS, I did not change any settings or remove the malware. I then used Counterspy, Spy Sweeper, AdAware, Spybot, and AV. Nothing indicated any malware. It is obvious to me that MS has certain programs that it wants to run.

I admit a disappointment in the MS Antispyware program. Maybe it was to be expected.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.