Mysterious "thumbs.db"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I fear what I don't understand, which pretty much means I'm terrified of computers! Take a look at this:

Looking closely we see that one class of "thumbs.db" is not shaded like a system file. This was found using search. I cannot, however, locate the files.

There is yet a third variety of "thumbs.db" that seems to be associated with images in an htm document (I think).

The most mysterious to me are the two in the middle. Any theories?

-HandsOff

Attached Files:

2. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

they are small system image caches
    you can get rid of them if you like

http://www.pchell.com/support/thumbsdb.shtml

there are a few hidden possibilities, of course after you can view hidden files
    (windows explorer > folder options > view tab > show hidden files and folders)
    try creating a hidden directory (properties>attributes>check hidden) and adding a few image files to it, then view it as thumbnails

bet they match your search results

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I've never had a use for the thumbs.db files. So I do not allow them to be created on my PCs. See screen capture of what the box looks like to kill them. (Noted in the link above.)

Attached Files:

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I don't like the principal of anyone other than me hiding files on my computer. I don't even hide any. I encrypt them. Still, I should know how it works, so I appreciate the info.

I usually don't cache them either. I was actually doing a search and delete to make sure there were none left on the drive. There were only a few. BTW, checking do not cache thumbnails does not remove the ones that were already in place (if any). I suppose that could be beneficial, if they are still being read. You might want to search and see how many might be around.

-HandsOff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.