Mysql + Apache = Slow

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by wombar, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wombar

    wombar Registered Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2008
    Posts:
    2
    Hi All,

    I have SS 4.0.467.0 installed on Windows 7 64bit. I have also installed Apache, PHP and mySQL.

    It's all working fine, except for when I need to query a mySQL database, at which point there is a very noticeable pause, even for exceptionally simple queries.

    I have traced the problem back to the Smart Security suite as when I uninstall the program, mysql is back up to normal speed. I have tried excluding apache, mysql and php in the advanced options window with no joy.

    So, does anyone have any suggestions how I might get SS playing nice?

    [EDIT] Oh and I've also tried a few tweak for mySQL which haven't work unfortunately. This problem SS specific as far as I can tell as I have the same problem in Vista on my laptop
     
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. Geron

    Geron Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2009
    Posts:
    4
    I'm experiencing the same problem. I've found a workarround for the problem.

    Create a .bat file and make it launch on system start. The .bat file should execute the following

    net stop "Windows Firewall" (if you're using it)
    net stop "Base Filtering Engine"
    net start "Base Filtering Engine"
    net start "Windows Firewall" (if you're using it)

    You might need to restart other services that depend on "Base Filtering Engine" (use the service manager to find dependencies).

    After the "Base Filtering Engine"-service has been restarted, performance is back to normal.
     
  3. robis

    robis Registered Member

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2009
    Posts:
    149
    Every start of computer use NET STOP BFE and NET START BFE
    or uncheck Web acces protection - Enable HTTP Checking

    I think this is the same error as I described with limiters thread :)

    screen in czech language
    http://img35.imageshack.us/i/esetkontrola.jpg/
     
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  4. Geron

    Geron Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2009
    Posts:
    4
    Unchecking Web Access Protection did not work for me. Adding programs/paths to the exception lists hasn't worked either. The only working workaround I've found is to restart BFE.
     
  5. robis

    robis Registered Member

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2009
    Posts:
    149
  6. Geron

    Geron Registered Member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2009
    Posts:
    4
    Yes I have made sure that I've unchecked both, and restarted. It doesnt help, the only thing thats helped so far is to restart the BFE service.

    PS. I'm just running the AV (i.e. NOD32) not SS. But as I'm experiencing similar problems as the thread starter, I just replied in this part of the forum.
     
  7. wombar

    wombar Registered Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2008
    Posts:
    2
    Hi All,

    First of all thanks for the replies and sorry for the slow response. Gerons solution does indeed work for me (turning off HTTP filtering did not unfortunately robis).

    However, it has a somewhat worrying side effect. It appears to completely bypass the firewall in SS rendering it useless. Programs seem to be free to come and go as they choose which is obviously a bit worrying as that's the whole point of having a firewall.

    So it seems to be a trade off between using SS and having a pig slow system (when using mySQL and as I'm a web developer this is VERY frustrating) or effectively turning it off, which kinda defeats the whole point of SS.

    At this point I've got a 5 machine license which I doubt I'll be renewing next year when it's due.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.