Myspace and emails address

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by puma_one, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puma_one

puma_one Registered Member

Hello,

I have a Myspace account with an email adress "@myspace.com".

When I want to write a message, I can find a listing with all the emails adress of my Myspace friends.

But, I find also in this list, some of my personnal emails adress that I use with Thunderbird.

I do not understand how those personnal emails adress can be repertoried in this list.

Of course they are not mentionned in my Myspace address book.

So what ? Do you have any idea ?

2. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Re: Myspace and emails adress

You did hear a month or so ago that Facebook or was if Myspace had some of its member info leaked, I'm afraid you might be a victim of ID theft. That is one of the reason to avoid such places

3. robertsamual

robertsamual Registered Member

Yes, I think Carver is right. It can be an ID hack or there is another possibility that myspace may have started something like gmail address capturing. If you have used gmail, you must have known that when you email someone it ads their id in the address book even if that person is in there already or not. Chance of both the situations are 50-50.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  4. puma_one

Thank you for your replies.

I do not use gmail or yahoo...

It is just like Myspace knows some of my emails adress...

But, even if there was an ID hack, why does the Myspace interface show those adress within the list of the recipients ? It is not very logical...

So at a certain level Myspace seems to make a relation between my Myspace account and some of my others emails adress (which are only repertoried within my Thunderbird)...

5. puma_one

OK myspace mail works like this but in my case, the adress book is empty...

6. puma_one

First of all I do not use the Myspace Mail service, and I made just few tests ;)

What about a Trojan... Two weeks ago Norton detected about 6 Trojans Horses on my computer.

The Adress Book is totally empty, so normally, Myspace must not show adress other than the adress of friends.

I sended yesterday an email to the Myspace team about this question.

7. puma_one

It seems now that there is a bug with the address book.

The address book is not showing the address that are automatically recorded by Myspace. Those address appears only in the list of recipients in the section "To :...". So you can not delete them.

I have reported the bug to Myspace and received this answer : "Thanks for contacting MySpace. We appreciate your feedback, but we do not currently offer that option on MySpace. (...)".

I understand now why so much people are going to Facebook. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.