my xpsp2 crashed! who's the culprit?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Jaremat, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaremat

Jaremat Registered Member

though maybe this is not a new problem here but i just recently reformatted my harddisk and reinstalled all my apps. it was really fresh since it was 4 days ago. i used that partition for surfing purposes only so there was no unnecesseary application not related to internet security. i am fond of reading all the furom here though i haven't registered yet(just today). i was really got interested with javacool's software that i installed spywareblaster and spywareguard. LAst night when i was surfing the internet i got a pop-up window that says spywareguard cannot read all its definitions and i need to reinstall it, came all my apps.

i was suspecting that spywareblaster crashed the registry data since it stays there to protect it. anyway, i will reinstall it sooner or later. :)

can anyone enlighten me, please. :)

-------------
    dell poweredge400sc 2.2ghz 256mb
    xpsp2, outpost, nod32, spysweeper
    microsoft antispyware, and ewido trial

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Sorry, can u explain to us more about this ?

I very much doubt SpywareBlaster could do this. Could u give us anymore details of what happened please?

snowbound

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  3. Jaremat

as i had said earlier, i suddenly got a pop up window that says spywareguard cannot read its definitions, you need to install/reinstall the software. when i was about to check it, some error messages popped out. all my apps lost its registry keys. even the nod32 systray icon turned red. (i mean all apps). when i tried to restore my system, all the restore points were gone. :oops:

i didn't suspect the registry mechanic since i just run it twice and it didn't find much repairing.

anyway, i had it reformatted already and i am using it right now. :D

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

hmm... I'm still curious what caused all this. :D

Anyway, glad everything is working now. ;)

snowbound

5. Jaremat

as i can remember, that was the first time my system crashed. though i have reformatted my disk several times. i was just a little confused since the OS was freshly reloaded.

Could it be a cause of a virus or worm whatsoever? Or one of the antispyware i was using, since when i clickd a link the spywareguard made an error report. the adobe reader 7.0 started bugging me with its reinstallation and i wasn't opening a pdf file then. Then suddenly my desktop icons turned blank. When i tried to open them the windows started searching for the application. o_O The bad thing, my restore points were erased. :'(

Another confusing thing was my antivirus and antispyware database were lost. Since the nod32 systray icon turned red.

Is there any chance the window xp can restore itself? Because this thing happens everytime i made a system restore. i mean, i need to reinstall some apps i have installed beyond the restore point.

BTW, before it happened i just installed the spybot S&D and after scanning, as a defalult it tried(didn't finish bcoz it hanged) to make a restore point. Hmmm, Do we have a suspect here?

Still confused. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.